OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I'm a 42 year old female never had vaginal issues, last

Customer Question
Hi, I'm a 42 year...
Hi, I'm a 42 year old female never had vaginal issues, last month I thought I had a yeast infection and took Monistat for it. Since then I have vaginal and anal discomfort, irritation feeling somewhat burning. I had cultures and they found nothing. I am really uncomfortable, what can this be? I'm starting to get anxious, that this is still going on.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: OB GYN
9/9/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 8 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Do you have backache, vaginal discharge, constipation, tenderness on lower abdomen, anxiety?

No I do not have any of the above.

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Well I do occasionally feel "wet" and I see a clearish discharge. I should be getting my period in a couple of days

The clear discharge can be discharge from the Skene's glands. The Skene's glands are small glands on either side of the vagina whose main function is to secrete a clear watery discharge to lubricate the vagina. In most women, this discharge is minimal and not noticeable and is sufficient enough to just lubricate the vagina. Some women may get increased secretion form these glands suddenly at some point, even when the discharge is not much at other times. This is physiological and no disease is likely to be associated with it.

Vaginal and anal discomfort, irritation feeling somewhat burning can be due to pelvic floor problems and weakness. One of the cause to be considered for your symptoms is levator ani syndrome. Ask your physician to consider this entity and get the following investigations;

1) defecography,

2) pelvic MRI

3) nerve-conducting velocities and needle-electromyographic studies are used to help evaluate compression or entrapment neuropathy and pelvic floor function.

4) pelvic ultrasound.

The treatment is following;

1) electrogalvanic stimulation,

2) biofeedback training,

3) digital massage of the levator ani muscles

4) sacral nerve stimulation

5) physical therapy for the pelvic floor muscles

Please read about this on this resource;

http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec02/ch020/ch020g.html

Pelvic congestion syndrome, Pelvic floor relaxation disorders, Pelvic floor dysfunction too need to be considered for the pain. Though treatment is essentially same.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor