OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

If I am 6 weeks pregnant, am I able to have an abortion

Customer Question
If I am 6...

If I am 6 weeks pregnant, am I able to have an abortion (pill or procedural) and pass it off as a miscarriage? I really don't want to have a child but my family is already aware I'm pregnant and are very pro-life. Also would having an abortion, reduce the chances of me getting pregnant again in the future?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

I regard to?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. I'm healthy otherwise

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: OB GYN
9/7/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your situation. Actually you can actually go for a medical abortion at 6 weeks, however at 6 weeks you do have the surgical option available as well. Ideally you should be less than 8 weeks along for a medical abortion to be considered and usually the abortion is more effective at under 6 weeks but that is not to say that it cannot be considered even right now. But to answer your question, YES you can go for a medical abortion at 6 weeks with the pills, namely mifepristone and misoprostol AND be able to pass it off as a miscarriage. There is no way for anyone to tell whether you had a miscarriage or a medical abortion when using the pills. If you go for the surgical abortion then yes a doctor may be able to tell that you had one.

Secondly a medical abortion which remains UNCOMPLICATED, that is there is no excessive bleeding etc or anything which would require surgical intervention, would not effect your chances of getting pregnant in the future. However surgical abortion with aspiration of the fetus has a VERY SMALL risk of damaging the uterine lining and causing problems in getting pregnant later on, however the risk is extremely small in that case as well.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.