Dr David
Dr David, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced physican trained in ob-gyn and oncology
41363181

Yesterday at Planned Parenthood I was diagnosed with

Customer Question

Yesterday at Planned Parenthood I was diagnosed with cervicitis with unknown cause. I will recieve a call within 7-10 days regarding the cause after lab results. I was in panic mode at the clinic and wasn't exactly listening to what the nurse had to say while being in full blown anxiety attack mode. She had prescribed 4 pink oval pills of Azithromycin 250mg and I took them all at once like I was supposed to. My question is that with my obsessive thinking and severe depression and anxiety, especially over this, can I still smoke medical marajuana after having taken the antibiotics? Before the antibiotics I was/am a regular medical marajuana smoker. Will it affect the medication in any way? Is it best to just refrain from any marajuana smoking until 7-10 days later? Or weeks?
I would love to smoke to get my mind off of everything for awhile, this diagnoses has been consuming me as of yesterday morning when I left my appointment and the anxiety feels overwhelming. My boyfriend suggests that I smoke because it greatly improves my mood.
Thank you for your time as I go through this very rough patch.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Actually you dont need to worry about this at all as in most cases of cervicitis, the underlying cause is usually an infection. It may take some time for the type of the infection to be determined as they will run cultures and other tests to determine the organism. It is possible that it can even be a fungal infection and that may need anti fungal medications to be treated.

But regarding your original question, YES you can smoke medical marijuana after using the antibiotics as it would NOT affect the efficacy of the antibiotics in anyway. You dont need to refrain from using medical marijuana at the moment and you con continue to do so for the time being as it will definitely help control your anxiety.

So you can use the marijuana as it will have NO effect whatsoever on the antibiotics or cervicitis for that matter.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I read online sources that give mixed reviews regarding using marajuana while on antibiotics. Is there scientific evidence behind your conclusion? I've read that while there's no KNOWN risk of counteraction or marajuana effecting the antibiotics success rate, that there still is "a risk". What is the most up to date answer regarding this given information, please? And thank you so much for your timely answers
Expert:  Dr David replied 1 month ago.

This is Dr. David

there is data showing that marijuana can affect the liver p450 liver ezyme metabolism of drugshttp://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/marijuana/interactions/hrb-20059701

http://www.alternet.org/drugs/cbd-drug-interactions-role-cytochrome-p450

smoking marijuana can affect metabolism of your antibiotics.

most likely your antibiotics will still kill any infection from sexually transmited disease.

it could cause the antibiotics to stay in your body for longer periods of time.

more study regarding medical marijuana and antibitoics is needed

are you getting your anxiety and depression symptoms treated?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The other doctor said that I can still smoke medical marajuana without question while on antibiotics. I'm glad I'm receiving a second opinion. I treat my anxiety and depression with Fluoxetine during the day and Depakote with Fluoxetine once at night before bed. Sometimes, including yesterday while at the clinic, the anxiety can be so overwhelming that it's like my minds on a one track loop. As I said, I've been non stop thinking about the diagnoses and just want some relief. You're saying that I should refrain from all marajuana smoking until I'm able to have a follow up appointment?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I guess I don't know where to go from here because all I keep getting is mixed reviews.
Expert:  Dr David replied 1 month ago.

it is best to avoid marijuana

you should talk to your doctor at next appointment.

show your doctor the data on the p450 enzymes I posted.

your doctor may say it is ok if the marijuana is helping your anxiety and depression symptoms.

every patient is different

there is not a right answer for all patients here.

let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area
you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you sir. I appreciate your honest answer. I would like to request a refund though due to the mixed answers I've been given. I figure I'd just be better off avoiding it. Please and thank you.