OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

What's your advice on reoccurring bv? A year ago. I've been…

Customer Question
What's your advice on...

What's your advice on reoccurring bv?

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?

A year ago. I've been dealing with bv for 2 years now. I've never had an abnormal pap

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No I have one child. And I think it is my partners sperm that is causing the infection...

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/5/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 5 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Treatment of the recurrent bacterial vaginosis is cumbersome. Following are the treatment modalities;

1) Metronidazole (flagyl) and clindamycin have been the drugs of choice. If you have tried flagyl, you may try clindamycin.

2) Azithromycin too is effective, especially if there is recurrence or persistence. Secnidazole, ornidazole and tinidazole are also used in the case of antibiotic resistance or recurrence.

Recurrence reflects resistance and/or reinfection.

3) Antiseptics as vaginal suppositories;

a) benzydamine,

b) chlorhexidine,

c) dequalinium chloride,

d) polyhexamethylene biguanide,

e) povidone iodine

f) hydrogen peroxide

4) Probiotics

5) Stop douching or bubble bath, if you do.

6) Avoid liquid soaps and body wash.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I've pretty much done all the above

The other possibility to consider would be "desquamative vaginitis" as alternative diagnosis which is not due to infection. It is due to chemical hypersensitivity to the repeated vaginal medicines, which, after all, are chemicals. Following treatment would help you;

1) Get a refillable script for Acigel vaginal cream with applicator. Begin with 1/2 applicator at bedtime every other night for two weeks.

2) Then increase to a full applicator every other night for two weeks.

3) Then, use one applicator every night for seven days before the next period.

4) You can help restore the normal bowel flora by eating live bacterial culture yogurt every day for a few weeks and take acidophilus tablets three times a day for one month.

5) You do not have to use the Acigel while menstruating. Do not use tampons until the treatments end.

6) Wear loose, all cotton underwear as they absorbs body moisture.

7) Wipe front to back when you urinate or have a bowel movement. Bowel bacteria can infect vagina.

8) Do not shave the vulvar area as the pubic hair protects against chemicals making contact with the skin.

9) Avoid all chemicals in the Vulvo vaginal area.
10) Avoid pantyhose and tight pants such as jeans which trap moisture near in the perineum
11) After exercise or any sweat producing activity, bathing or swimming, make sure the perineum is air dried., Moist surfaces that rub against each other break down and provide an area for yeast secondary growth ,

12) Follow a low carbohydrate diet. Take steroids, antibiotics and oral contraceptives only if very necessary.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. C.
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified