OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I thought I got a yeast infection from floating the river 3…

Hi! I thought I...

Hi! I thought I got a yeast infection from floating the river 3 days in a row this weekend. I had itching/irritation. I know it wasn't any STD, etc. because I just went to the gynecologist last week and was tested for everything when I did my annual check up. I inserted a Monistat 1 ovule last night and woke up with less itching but an EXTREMELY swollen labia. Do I need to wait this out for the swelling to go down or would Benadryl help? Thank you

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

No recent injuries. I was itching and slightly swollen beginning on Sunday, this continued yesterday, and then I took the Monistat 1 ovule last night and now it's extremely swollen.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I'm allergic to Sulfa I had a clean gynecology visit as of 1.5 weeks ago. So I know this either happened from sitting in moist bathing suit while floating, or the river water in general.

9/5/2017
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

Are you having any vaginal discharge?

Is there any foul odor there?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Hi. I believe the only discharge is coming from the Monistat Ovule I inserted last night. And no foul odor. I've never had a yeast infection before. I just thought this is what it must have been because I've heard of wet bathing suits/swimming in rivers giving people yeast infections, and I don't feel like it's a UTI because I've had those before and I don't have that sensitivity when urinating like I would with a UTI.

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply.

Yes,this seems most likely to be due to yeast infection from sitting in moist bathing suit while floating.

Another possibility can be of bacterial vaginosis (BV).

It is unlikely to be due to STD as you went to the gynecologist last week and was tested for everything & it was normal.

You need to insert monistat ovule for 3 nights.For swelling in labia,following is recommended:

• Take tablet benadryl once a day.

• Take tab. Ibuprofen 400mg from the counter. Both these are available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly to subside swelling.

If still after this,the symptoms persists.then you need to make an appointment with your doctor as prescription oral medications/antibiotics will then be required accordingly

Thank you.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today ,we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Do you think it's a good idea to do the Monistat 3 day even though I just used the Monistat 1 day last night and I'm still very swollen from that?

You need to first take tab.benadryl & tab.Ibuprofen 400 mg. This will reduce the swelling.

Once the swelling is down in a day or two,then you can again insert monists accordingly.This will cure the infection.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor