OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I got my period and continued taking birth control to

hopefully shorten it or...
I got my period and continued taking birth control to hopefully shorten it or make it lighter. It's been 10 days and I still have it. I stopped birth control day 7 but it's not stopping. What can I do to get it to stop and balance out my hormones?
8/16/2017
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

you should continue to take your birth control pill one a day

why did you stop your birth control pills

over time, it can help regulate your period and help your periods maybe be a bit less.

While on my period I took the regular pills not the sugar pills. It made the period worse so I stopped in the hopes of letting the period run its course
to let my body figure itself out
Should I stick with that or go back to the pills and hope the bleeding stops

when you have your period flow, you should be taking the sugar pills

when you are done with the sugar pills, you start a new pack of regular birth control pills

I know but I messed it up. What should I do now

take the sugar pills for now

when your period is over, start a new pack of birth control pills

Ok thank you. It's been 10 days so far when should I get worried that I've had my period for too long

no, you shouldn't be worried.

your period will get better once you start to take your birth control pills properly

let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area
you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr David
Dr David, Doctor