Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I am 53 years old, very healthy. Here are my questions: a)

I am 53 years old, very healthy. Here are my questions:a) Provider thought i was a good candidate for the hpv vaccine (low rate of outside partners etc) -- Going to take Gardsil 9 -- 1st dose was today, 2nd dose in 30 days, and last dose or booster in 6 month. After the 2nd dose, am i protected and is the booster "just to make sure at the 6 month mark".Dating new partner with no sexual contact in 2 years (none with us). How long should we use protection for HPV specifically if in exclusive relationship ?b) Final question, no period for the last 4 months -- what is the risk of preg? (low?), will the withdrawel method work? Or what is the best alternative for birth control?Thank you,

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

How old are you?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
53

The HPV vaccine is not indicated after age 26.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please answer the questions -- that is not what i asked.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it is indicated for women over 26 with limited experience, please answer the questions asked.
I'm a board certified ob gyn. The vaccine isn't approved, indicated or useful for women over 26. Theres no benefit and there is risk. Your physician is doing you a great disservice by recommending it. You're not protected at any rate until after all the doses. At your age, you wont build a sufficient immune response to be protected anyway. You dont need to use protection for hpv if in an exclusive relationship as your risk of acquiring hpv at your age is negligible. Your risk of pregnancy at 53 and having no period is zero, you dont need birth control.
Dr. K., MD
Experience: Board certified OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What is the risk with the HPV vaccine?2nd -- I have no period for 4 months -- i thought you needed to be 12 months until you were "safe"
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
From reading online the HPV vaccine is safe (like the flu shot)......i understand there may or may not be beneficial.

Hello. This is Dr. Love. The system says that you have requested a new expert.

Yes, the HPV vaccine is safe. But any vaccine can have adverse effects. For any vaccine, administration is considered appropriate when the benefits outweigh the risks. The most common adverse reactions are minor, such as injection site reactions, but the most serious potential adverse reaction is a severe allergic reaction. However, there is no evidence of benefit above age 26, which is why it is not advised to be administered after age 26.

As for birth control, fertility of women in their 50s is actually quite low, even when still having periods. Your fertility is even lower once you have gone 4 months without a period. There have been rare cases of spontaneous pregnancy in women that have not yet gone 12 months, but it is very rare. Since it is so rare, many doctors are hesitant to use a contraceptive method that has potential side effects, but it would be fine to use condoms until you have gone 12 months without a period.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know. The system also says that you have requested a phone call. If you still desire a phone call, please let me know.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i would still like the phone call if possible. THank you Dr. D. Love

Very good. I will call you in a moment.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you.

I have tried calling through the JustAnswer system once and direct dialing twice, and the call is sent to an automated answering system.

Is there a problem with connection?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I never go a ring from anything.
(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that is my direct cell phone number.

It was a pleasure talking to you on the phone.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.