OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I just had a Pap smear and everything came back normal. A…

I just had a Pap...
I just had a Pap smear and everything came back normal. A few days ago I felt uncomfortable and my whole labia on both sides is swollen and on one side it feels like a few pea sized hard bumps and on the right side it's just one hard lump. Itches at times but probably because I check it a lot. Any idea? I have never had anything like this before
8/7/2017
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

you most likely have a blocked bartholin's gland on your labia.

this is very common.

you should try some warm compresses on the area. this could help unblock the bartholin's gland.

you may need a course of antibiotics.

I was on keflex I just finished it today over he course of 10 days. And there's a few hard lumps on the left side as well is there more than 1 of those glands? Also my upper inner groin hurts when I push it kinda feels bruised. Any chance it would be a cyst? This doesn't sound like herpes or anything does it? Thank you.

blocked bartholins gland can cause barthoins cyst to be infected.

no, it doesn't sound like herpes

herpes could cause painful ulcers on your labia

this doesn't sound like painful ulcers.

Okay that's a relief. Everything on my pap was normal I never had a herpes test but I didn't think it sounded like that either. It doesn't really bother me during the day other than I know it is there and it is swollen. And it's on both sides of my labia down toward the middle on the right and upper middle on be left. And now my inner groin feels a little bruised. Are these common symptoms? I would have went to get checked but I'm out of the country right now and I did 2 warm compresses this morning. Thanks

sounds like bilateral blocked bartholin's gland or blocked bartholin's cysts going on

that is good you have tried the warm compresses so far.

when you get back home, you can see your doctor for evaluation

it doesn't sound like herpes outbreak

let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area
you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr David
Dr David, Doctor