OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I took a first response pregnancy test last night, two days…

Customer Question
Hello. I took a first...
Hello. I took a first response pregnancy test last night, two days before my next period(I am due tomorrow). The result was a faint positive. I took another one this morning with first morning urine and it again was a faint positive but a bit fainter than yesterday's. seeking even more clarity i then took a clear blue digital test that clearly said pregnant, but a few hours later I took a normal clear blue test that was completely negative. I'm afraid I may have low hcg levels and am afraid of miscarriage and others have said I'm fine. I'm very confused as to what to do as a next step. Thanks in advance,
-Amanda
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: OB GYN
8/6/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

There is nothing that needs to be done at this point.

Since a pregnancy test will only detect a concentration of HCG above a certain level, it is actually very common for a pregnancy test to be negative later in the day after a positive pregnancy test done earlier in the day. The concentration of HCG in the urine can decrease if there is increased urine flow, either because of drinking more fluid during the course of the day, particularly drinking fluids that contain caffeine (a diuretic). When there is increased urine flow, it will lower the concentration of the HCG, dropping below the threshold of detection, so will be a negative result.

This is very common, so there is no reason to be concerned about a miscarriage because of the negative result later in the day. We would typically only be concerned about a miscarriage if there are symptoms of a miscarriage, such as bleeding or pain/cramping.

If you want the reassurance of another pregnancy test, then you certainly can repeat the pregnancy test in the morning. The first urine specimen in the morning is recommended because it is the most concentrated urine of the day (since you are not drinking fluids through the night while asleep).

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor