OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

Is it possible to have a false negative on a pregnancy test

Customer Question
30,32,36, and 37 days after...
Is it possible to have a false negative on a pregnancy test 30,32,36, and 37 days after sex?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: OB GYN
8/4/2017
OB GYN Doctor: MD doc, Doctor replied 4 months ago
MD doc
MD doc, Doctor
Hi,A false negative pregnancy test can occur in the initial days. Sometimes the level of pregnancy hormones is low in the initial phase of pregnancy. The false negative test can be seen in the initial 2-3 weeks after conception. If you are getting a negative test result after 30 days of intercourse and having no periods, then you might need a blood pregnancy test to rule out pregnancy. if it comes negative then other reasons like hormonal imbalance, polycystic ovaries etc, need to be ruled out by a doctor by a first-hand examination and if need investigations.Hope this information is helpful, do get back if you need more informationRegards
Wouldn't a blood test be useless since a pregnancy test will detect pregnancy 2-3 weeks after conception, and it has been 5 weeks
Blood test is more sensitive than urine test. After 5 weeks, chances of any test coming positive I.e. Urine or blood are negligible. But on the rare chance if there is a fragile pregnancy with low pregnancy hormone, then it would be detected on a blood test
Regards
Ok thank you. She actually got her period 36 days ago. Which was 3 days after taking plan b. Her period was supposed to come yesterday but it still hasn't came. If it doesn't come does that mean she is pregnant?

Chances are very less of pregnancy. If she took plan B after the intercourse, then the delay in periods is most probably due to hormonal imbalance which can happen in the next cycle. Try not to worry. Stress is another factor that can delay the periods.

If you have any follow-up questions, don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Ok thanks. So from what I have told you, what would you say the chance of pregnancy is?

very less chances of pregnancy, since it's already more than a month after the intercourse, all the tests are negative and she took a plan B tablet the next day. But still if you want to be 100% sure, go for a blood test, it will help in confirming and relieving your mind.

Regards

Ok. I want her to get a blood test done to be 100% but she says it is pointless. Do you think she is right?

If the lady is confident she is not pregnant, why not wait for few days. If her menses start, then no need to worry. As I said, the pill also can lead to hormonal imbalance, which can cause delay in cycle

Regards

Ok. How much longer would you recommend me wait? She is now one day late if you compare this months cycle to last month's when the accident happened

At least way 15 days

wait 15 days

If it doesn't come in 15 days would you say that their is a strong chance that she is pregnant
If the urine pregnancy test comes negative after 15 days, then chances of pregnancy further decrease
Ok. She is probably going to get mad at me if I tell her to take another test since she doesn't think she is pregnant since she has already taken 6 tests. If you were in my situation would you just trust the previous tests and just not worry about it?
I would trust the previous multiple tests and let it be.
Ok. So you're saying 0% chance of pregnancy?

without examining the patient and without access to any investigations it's tough to say the exact statistics. Yes, chances of pregnancy are very less.

Regards

Hope I was able to help you. If you have any follow-up questions, don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Regards

Since she is still feeling bad, and has been for about 10-12 days now, would you recommend her getting an hcg blood test done? Or would the symptoms not be from pregnancy since she has already taken so many tests? Sorry for all the questions, I am almost done. Just trying to figure all of this out

I would say go for the blood HcG test only to relieve your mind. But if she is not comfortable going, why not wait for a few days? This stress can also lead to delayed periods.

Regards

Oh ok. Is their anyway that these home tests can be wrong? When you say "the chances of pregnancy are very less" how high are the chances?

multiple home pregnancy tests are usually not wrong. As I said before next to negligible chances of pregnancy

Oh ok thanks for the clarification. Can I ask you one. One question before you leave?
right before these symptoms started, I noticed that she wasn't eating hardly anything. Like for example, all she ate one day was a few grapes. She has still not been eating like a normal person. I was wondering if not eating could cause the nausea that she is experiencing? Or could she even be anorexic? She is about 5'5-5'6 105-108lbs

yes, not eating and the stress can cause nausea. She is underweight. Difficult to say anorexic or not. Sometimes the built and the metabolic rate of a person is such that they are a little underweight.

Would the poor diet and stress cause her period to be late or missed? I know these are hard questions for you to answer without doing proper tests and stuff but I just wanted to let you know how helpful you have been to me as this has been very hard on me and having somebody to talk to is really helping me

all factors combined could be causing delayed periods - stress, hormonal disturbances, low food intake.

That is what I am trying to convince myself! And I would not be worried about her period being late if she didn't have the symptoms :(

Try to relax. Your concern, while well placed, might also be causing stress to her.

If you have any follow-up questions, don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service.

I know. I haven't been saying much to her about it because I don't want to stress her out since she thinks that I'm not worried about pregnancy anymore after the last test at the doctors office. I just feel like she is very clueless about her symptoms and she thinks that just because she has taken multiple hpt's that it means she is 100% not pregnant
I'm sorry for keeping you for so long. I know you are probably tired of me. I apologize

No problem, but as I said, try to let it go for some days. Revisit the problem after 15 days or so, if she does not get her periods.

Ok so she is four days late now. If you consider her 35 day cycle last month as her "normal" cycle time although she is irregular. So you're saying I should wait until she is 15 days late?

yes, definitely

What do I do if she is 15 days late?

go to doctor and get a blood pregnancy test done and look for reason of delay in periods

Ok. So another home pregnancy test won't be useful? I know she won't like the idea of a blood test because of the cost and her parents

Depends. You can do that. But if it comes negative, then will you believe that test 100%?

Honestly, no... would you?

that is why a doctor visit would put your mind at rest

What is the chance of a blood test coming out positive ?
I guess what I'm asking is, how would a blood test be positive after so many urine tests were negative

It is unlikely that the blood test would be positive,

Please accept the answer, and leave a positive feedback,

Warm Regards

What do you mean when you say "unlikely"?? 30%,10%,5%,1%??? Sorry, just trying to get your opinion so my girlfriend will listen to me about the blood test

There is no way to give a definite percentage, each case is unique, and in any case, percentages do not help much in an individual situation,

I would recommend meeting a doctor,

Regards

Ok I understand. Can you tell me why she would have gotten negative urine tests but it's possible to get a positive blood test?
It seems to me that if her hcg levels are not over 25miu (which is what the first response tests say that they can detect) at 5 weeks after conception then their is no way that it can be a viable pregnancy, is that correct?

a level of 25 and above indicates viable pregnancy

if it was under 25 at 5 1/2 weeks after conception that means that their is no pregnancy?
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 4 months ago
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Thank you for choosing Justanswer. If a home pregnancy test on the urine is positive then there is a pregnancy. If the test is negative then the HCG is too early to be detected. If the test is still negative after one week then there is no HCG meaning no pregnancy. Thanks for using Justanswer.
Me girlfriend is experiencing nausea tiredness and hot flashes for about 2 weeks now. She is also 5 days late on her period. She got a period 3 days after taking plan b which was 40 days ago. She has taken 6 pregnancy tests all have been negative
Plan B is the same as taking 3 or 4 birth control pills at one time. It stops a very early pregnancy which the period 3 days after plan b would stop it. She's not pregnant now unless she had sex with penetration in the last few days and started a pregnancy. The pregnancy test would be positive by middle of next week. As far as her symptoms of being sick, a visit to a doctor or clinic may help.
their is no way that she could have received 6 false negatives which were taken 14,22,30,32,36, and 37 days after sex?? She has not had any sexual intercourse since then. Should she continue to take tests or is that unnecessary?
If she has not had sexual intercourse since then, there is no way she can be pregnant.
Ok thank you for clearing that up for me. So the late period and symptoms do not concern you about pregnancy at all? Considering that was the only time she had sex
Pregnancy is the only thing that produces HCG. No HCG, no pregnancy.
Ok so since she had negative tests then that means no pregnancy? Even with the symptoms she is experiencing? Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to clear everything up
You said the tests were all negative and that's a fact that has to be accepted. Good night.
I understand. I guess what my question is, can I consider those tests 100% accurate
You have to understand that if someone thinks they might be pregnant they do a pregnancy test on the urine. If it's negative the HCG may be present in the specimen but too low to pick up. If the HCG was too low, repeating the test in a few days would turn positive because a pregnancy produces thousands of units of HCG. If your partner were pregnant the test would have been positive after a week between tests. The test is still negative after two more weeks after the first negative. Is the test accurate in your partner's situation? No doubt it's negative. She is not pregnant no matter what symptoms she has. If you can't figure out this basic information, there's not much else to say. Of course, you paid Justanswer but I don't get a penny without a rating. Fortunately, my overhead is very low as I sit here and watch football on my tv.
I can tell that you are agitated/annoyed by my questions since I keep asking pretty much the same thing. I apologize for that. But you have to realize how much stress I am under right now. I haven't been able to think straight for 40+ days now. I am a very intelligent person but I am young and I made a stupid mistake. I know none of this is your fault, but the reason I keep asking so many questions is because I just really need somebody to talk to and help me get through this. After she took the last test I was sure that she wasn't pregnant and I was finally relieved from all this stress, then the symptoms never went away and her period never came. I just don't understand how she could have conceived on day 32 of her cycle, had a period on day 35 (which lasted for 5-7 days), take 6 pregnancy tests, and still turn out pregnant. Like none of this is making any sense. The nausea, tiredness, no period, etc... also don't make any sense. I'm sorry for saying all of this but I just had to get that out.
Six negative pregnancy tests including the last one 37 days after the sexual encounter. The key to this situation is the lack of a positive pregnancy test surely indicating the absence of a pregnancy. And plan b to consider and how it frequently screws up a woman's cycle.
I am trying to blame plan b for this late period. I don't want this to sound bad but honestly I need to move on from this girl and get back to my normal life. I was planning on moving on from her last week since she was supposed to start her period, but now that it is late I'm scared to leave and then get a call in a few months. Everything you have told me says that I am 100% in the clear though.
I guess you're sure she has not had sex since the date in question and that she didn't conceive at that time. I hope you are right to believe that. Enough said.
I'm pretty sure she hasn't had sex since then. If she has then it wasn't with me so that doesn't really concern me. What I need to know is, is their anyway that her hcg levels could have been too low to register on a pregnancy test 36 and 37 days after sex? Which is when she took the last 2 tests. I know you have probably answered this question but like I said, I am very concerned right now and any reassurance helps. I apologize
Too low to register 36 and 37 days after sex? There is no such thing as a pregnancy test being too low for all those tests. The tests were not positive, and that's all that matters in your thinking
Ok thank you! Should I be concerned if her period doesn't come this month? (Considering she has not had sex since the even in question)
Your concerns have been answered by Justanswer about the pregnancy tests. Any further questions about someone else's period has to be presented to the Justanswer protocol.
Ok well can you answer this last question? Am I safe to move on from this or do I need to continue considering pregnancy as a possibility until he gets her next period?
Your last question has been answered but you have a problem understanding the basic answer you have been given. She could become pregnant tomorrow or conceived 2-3 weeks ago but you are sure she hasn't had sex since your last time. Good luck.
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN