OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am a 56 year old lady who has never had intercourse with…

Customer Question
I am a 56 year...
I am a 56 year old lady who has never had intercourse with anyone but my husband of 56 years. I recently had a papsmear at my physical. My pap was good but I was informed that I had hpv. How is that possible if I have not been with another partner in 37 years
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: OB GYN
8/4/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Ross, Doctor replied 9 months ago
Ross
Ross, Doctor

hello Dr Whitney. What you say is very true it can be from 37years ago. It cayuses changes in the uterus tat back in the 80s were just called dysplasia or atypia. now pathologist know t call them koilocytotic cells(basket cells). That's why kids are offered Gardasil vaccine for HPV to prevent and transmission at young ages in 20s and younger now a days. The virus lies dormant for years in males and females does not always show as a lesion in either sex unless checked with acetic acid(vinegar) . I hope that help, please rate thank you

why would neither of us have got this diagnosis before
.

the virus can be dormant not shed or show up all the time, your husband may have developed antibodies and never had a lesion

your question comes up a lot in the office, which is why are kids will be better off with the vaccine . This also shows up as throat cancer due to oral sex in partners

How can you get a sexually trqansuated disuase if you have not had sex with soeoneone in 36 years

you may have gotten it way before as a younger adult

before the 36years

these are questions there is no answer to

hope that helped some rating are appreciated thank you

se rate or ask further question thank you

Ross
Ross
Ross, Doctor