OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Is it possible to have a false negative on a pregnancy test…

Is it possible to have...
Is it possible to have a false negative on a pregnancy test 30,32,36, and 37 days after sex?
8/3/2017
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service.
If conception actually occurred at the time in question the pregnancy test would be positive 10-14 days later. No its not possible. Never ever.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok that is what I was thinking but I have been reading these forums online and I'm confused
These are not "forums". These people are idiots who dont know how to do a pregnancy test or believe any crazy story that they read.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok so it isn't possible to not get a positive on a test until later on in pregnancy?
No not at all
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I was just confused because my girlfriend is having some early pregnancy symptoms with nausea being the most prominent for the past 6 days or so. Also, today is day 35 of her cycle and still no period. She is irregular but usually has a period every 30-35 days. She took plan b 38 days ago and got her period 3 days later
Plan B will cause irregular bleeding for up to 6 weeks. You cannot expect a regular period in the cycle you take plan b. "EArly pregnancy symptoms". Are very vague and not always due to pregnancy. If the test is negative, she's not pregnant.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if he period doesn't come this week that doesn't mean she is pregnant right
No. Of course not. A positive pregnancy test indicates pregnancy
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
since she has taken so many tests and thy have all been negative, that means she is 100% not pregnant?
it does
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks. If her period doesn't come should she continue to take more tests?
No not at all
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you're saying their is 0% chance?? I'm really sorry I keep asking the same questions. I'm just trying to be very thorough and figure this out. I don't see how she could be pregnant if she bled for 7 days after taking plan b, but I also don't see how she could just all of the sudden start having early pregnancy symptoms and not get her period.
She's not pregnant if she has a negative test.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. So 0% chance?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Meaning that the home pregnancy tests are 100% accurate
As many as she has done, yes
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What do you think about the nausea and other symptoms that have been going on for about 10-12 days now
Its not due to pregnancy.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Thank you for answering all these questions even though I am kind of repeating myself. If her period doesn't come for another week should see revisit the doctor? Today is day 38 of her cycle. She has irregular cycles but they are usually around 30-35 days
There's no reason to see a Dr for a late period. This happens all the time and is certainly not an emergency.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh ok. So the symptoms and the late period is not concerning you at all?
No. Women have late periods all the time. Nausea is a common symptom
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
all of the stories that I have seen online about getting negative tests and still being pregnant are false? That can't happen to her can it?
It cant. I believe I have answered your question many many times. I'm now going to sign off. I would appreciate a positive rating.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. I'm sorry. But before you leave can you explain why it isn't possible? I'm sorry for all of the questions
As I mentioned i have answered your question many times and I am signing off. You also have not given a positive rating so I am not compensated.
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry to be such a bother.. I'm just going through a lot right now
Thank you. I guarantee you, no matter what she is telling you, she's not pregnant if the test is negative. Good luck
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you for your help. I just really needed somebody to talk to since she is not being much help right now. I'm glad you are so sure that she isn't pregnant
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I guess you've already signed off right now but I just remember that I had one more question that I needed to ask you. Anyways, if you're still on here. Could her period be late due to the fact that she does not eat properly? In my opinion she doesn't eat enough at all for the past two weeks. She eats 1 tiny meal a day. That might not have anything to do with her period. I was just wondering. She is about 5'6 105-110lbs
It seems she's very underweight. That can delay a period or stop the cycles all together.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey I know you're probably tired of me asking all these questions and bothering you, but I just wanted to update you on the situation if you are still here. She is now 7 days late. Which means she is on day 42 of her cycle. She has had some pretty bad cramps for two days now. I know there probably isn't much that you can say but I just needed somebody to talk to
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No nausea today but every other day she has felt nauseous at some point in the day. Also has had bad headaches
She could always do another test if it would reassure you. I'm sure she is nauseated and has a headache because she does not take in enough calories. She's ill.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I want her to do another test but she gets so mad when I say something to her about that. She thinks that their is no way she can be pregnant since she has already taken 6 tests. Would you think it would be positive if she took another one? The most recent tests that she took were 36 and 37 days after sex. It is now 45 days since sex
If you have not had any unprotected sex since then, no it wont be positive.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. So I really need to move on from this girl and get back to my normal life. I was waiting for her to get her period before I did that though. Now that her period is 8 days late, I'm still waiting. Do you think I can trust the previous tests and move on from this? Or do I need to wait until her period comes or do some more tests?
I think shes trying to cause trouble for you and make you think shes pregnant.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's what I was thinking but she says that she's not even worried about being pregnancy since she's taking so many tests. I have been acting like I'm not really worried about it anymore so she couldn't try to lie.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is now 10 days late. Should I ask her to get a blood test or should she just take 2 more first response tests?? Would they both be equally accurate being this long after intercouse?
There's no need for a blood test. Urine test is accurate. There also no need to take two urine tests. One is sufficient.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok so a blood test and a Urine test would have equal accuracy since it is this long after sex?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you so much for sticking with me throughout this process. If the urine test is negative this week can I finally move on? Or will I need to wait until her next period comes or doesn't come
If you have not had any unprotected sex since 45 days, I think thats what you noted, you are safe
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that's right. But I don't want to stop talking to her without her doing one more test just to be sure. Simply because of the nausea and stuff she has been experiencing
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What I'm saying is, if the test this week is negative, can I move on or should I still be concerned since her period still hasn't come
Ive answered your question. If the only unprotected sex you had was 45 days ago then you are safe. But if you have had unprotected sex multiple other times, then of course no.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. But you don't know why she has been sick and missed her period?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She just took another test. It was negative. She's going to take another one in the morning
I know why shes sick and missed her period. I believe Ive answered that already. She's too thin and doesnt eat. It sounds like she has an eating disorder.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Did you get my message about the negative test she just took?
I did. shes taken multiple tests and shes not pregnant.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you. I do Apologize for asking so many questions throughout this process. Am I in the clear to leave her and finally get back to my normal life?
Thats not really a medical question at all. But shes not pregnant and Ive answered that numerous times
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I know. I'm sorry
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She's going to take one more test tomorrow and then I guess I will be done with it
Ok. I'm not going to reply to any more issues on this thread. Ive been fair and answered all your concerns.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I understand. Can you stay here until tomorrow just in case the test is positive tomorrow?
If you have more questions please open a new one, Ive answered enough. Best of luck and please do not reply.