OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Right before my period I've experienced slight itching

Customer Question
Right before my period...

Right before my period I've experienced slight itching outside parts of my vagina. I am now almost a week out of having my period and still expierncing itching swollen irrational around outside of my vagina I see no blisters or ulcers. No thick discharge or smell. What is it? I am 7 months out postpartum I had itchy vagina whole pregnancy and before I got pregnant before my period had same problem itchy and swollen irrated vagina. Please help me I'm married and never cheated or had sex with anyone else while engaged or married.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?

Sometimes after shower or cool wash rag helps and antiitch wipes

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: OB GYN
7/30/2017
OB GYN Doctor: DocPhilMD, Doctor replied 8 months ago
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

It could be bacterial vaginosis

have you been tested for anything?

Recently ?

yeah?

When I was pregnant I got tested for hpv chlymedia gonarrhea hiv tested negative for all
I'm due for my annual this week.

Ok good.

Bacterial vaginosis is what you have

This is an overgrowth of normal vaginal bacteria called gardernella.

It is treated with oral antibiotics

Very common and benign

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

How exactly are you sure what I have?

These are classic symptoms

I have seen it dozens of times

I know I have no ulcers or blisters but is there a way to tell about genital herpes ? And why does it accur before and after I get my period?

That is common with BV

As your hormones change with your period, it causes the bacteria to grow more and less

If it isn't painful ulcers, then it isn't herpes

but your doctor can swab it and test for it

Bacterial vaginos is a std?
No I have no ulcers or blisters just swollen red itchy irrated outside of my vagina.

No it is not an STD

Need more help?

just click send to reply

DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor