Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

I am 36 weeks pregnant with baby number 3. Up until today I

Customer Question

I am 36 weeks pregnant with baby number 3. Up until today I have had a very healthy pregnancy. Due to my age (40) I had a NST today and everything looked great. When the doctor went to measure me I was measuring (to her calculations) at 32/33 weeks. She sent me for an ultrasound and those measurements showed the baby measuring at 34.2 weeks. She also indicated that my amniotic fluid was low. I was told to rest this weekend and drink plenty of fluids and to come in Monday for another NST, which I will now have twice a week.
JA: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?
Customer: A few questions:
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: (My prior pregnancies have all been normal and to term all healthy baby weights )
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 2 months ago.

All ultrasounds have an error margin - in early pregnancy, it can be only one or two days, but in later pregnancy, it can be be as much as 2 weeks.

In your case, at 36 weeks, it us quite possible for the usg to show 34 weeks even when the baby is absolutely fine and growing well.

If your amniotic fluid is low, then yes, drinking plenty of fluids and resting will help increase the amniotic fluid level.

Fro the description of your pregnancy, I do not think you have any cause for concern

I hope this helped.
Let me know if you need more information. If not, please click on a positive rating to leave feedback.