OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I was scheduled to have an endometrial biopsy of my uterus…

I was scheduled to have...
I was scheduled to have an endometrial biopsy of my uterus this week due to pain and a hemorrhagic cyst in my uterus along with free fluid. The doctor was unable to complete the biopsy due to there being too much scar tissue from my ablation 10 years ago and the cervix basically being completely sealed. She would now like to send me to another doctor to have a D&C done. I don't want to pay for yet another failed procedure. Can a D&C always be preformed or is there a chance the scar tissue could result in the doctor not gaining access yet again.
7/28/2017
MD doc
MD doc, Doctor

In D and C (dilatation and curettage), the whole of the inner lining of the uterus i.e. endometrium is scraped. In a biopsy, which was tried in your case, the tissue is taken from a particular area. Since the area around your cervix was scarred, the doctor could not take a biopsy. While in D&C, the whole of inner lining is scraped. The chances of getting a tissue sample are higher in D&C and is preferred in cases where a biopsy cannot be done due to scarring.

Regards

How will they be able to get through the scar tissue for the D&C when they couldn't before.

I am presuming, that the whole of your endometrium or inner lining of the uterus does not have a scar. This is not seen usually. The areas which do not have scar will be scraped and taken for histopathology.

Regards

MD doc
MD doc, Doctor