Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

Second opinion] I really need some help understanding a few

Customer Question

Second opinion] Hi there! I really need some help understanding a few things so I hope you can help :) I'm a 35 years old female, 36 in September and married. I definitely want children in the near future but right now the timing isn't great. Of course getting closer to the mid and late 30's is causing me some anxiety, naturally, but also when i went for my annual gyn exam last month my doctor did point out that I had less antral follicles in my right ovary this year than last year, and also my right ovary is smaller. To get into the specifics here are my results from 2016 and 2017:2016:right ovary: 4.5 cc , 9-10 antral follicles
left ovary: 3.8 cc , 8-9 antral follicles2017:right ovary: 2.0 cc , 3-4 antral follicles
left ovary: 4.0 cc , 8-9 antral folliclesEverything else was normal and similar to previous years. My doctor told me not to worry about the decrease in the right ovary and that it was in line with my age and the decline that starts at 35 onwards. He didn't say there was a major rush to start trying but he did say to start "sooner rather than later". I wasn't worried at first but it keeps coming back into my head, that what if i'm taking a huge risk by waiting and what if this is a gamble i'll regret.My questions are as follows:Could the follicle count have been low because i had just finished my period?
Is it possible that he made a mistake on the ultrasound?
Could there have been more follicles that just didn't show up on the ultrasound?
Why would my right ovary be so much smaller than the year before?
Is all of this normal?
What is the normal number of follicles a woman my age should have? Is my count considered low?
and lastly, is there an urgency to start trying or to consider freezing my eggs?As i mentioned the timing is not good right now for a baby (due to work, family and other personal reasons) but if there is a serious situation and i need to take action then i will. I just really need to understand where i stand. I don't want to see any doctors right now because it will just give me so much anxiety plus i really don't want to have all these tests done which might be unnecessary right now. Please tell me what i should do, i want a baby and will not do anything to risk the chance of that happening. I just need someone to be straight with me and tell me where i stand and what i should be doing.Thank you so much and i appreciate any advice you can give me.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 months ago.
I'm not sure why your Dr would be doing the ultrasound but the follicle count and the ovary size has nothing at all to do with fertility. So the timing of the ultrasound and whether your dr made a mistake is of no concern. The issues that control your fertility are primarily age. If you want some meaningful testing done, you should ask for a day 3 fsh level and a Amh, antimullerian hormone level. In order to do this, you do need to have a dr order it. Fertility begins to decline exponentially after age 35 and miscarriage rates begin to rise exponentially. You cant do anything to fix or alter this. I would advise starting your family assuming your marriage is stable.