Dr. Tim, MD
Dr. Tim, MD, Board Cert. OB/GYN
Experience:  General OB/GYN, complicated obstetrics, complicated GYN
62949540

I'm 27 weeks pregnant and has a severe yeast infection, I

Hello, I'm 27 weeks pregnant and has a severe yeast infection, I was given suppositorys x7days that did not work then later given diflucan which did the trick. During this 3 week period of trying to cure this yeast infection I noticed what looks like vestibules but I don't know for sure. I have been negative for STDs and have not been sexually active since January. They are painless, lined up, finger like vestibular like structures.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Image added

Thank you for the question and I am happy to help. First, please answer the following questions:
​1. What were your symptoms that they were treating?
​2. The 'growths' in the picture - are you certain that they were not present previously?
3. Have you ever been pregnant before?
4. Have you ever had an abnormal pap smear or genital warts in the past?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1. Yeast infection symptoms. Cottage like cheese discharge and itching
2. I don't believe they were there before I noticed them when the area was swollen and irritated due to the yeast infection
3. Yes I have been pregnant before and had BV during that pregnancy.
4. I had an abnormal Pap smear years ago in 2009 but have had normal ones since then.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No never had genital warts.

First of all, these do not look like genital warts. Women who have had problems with HPV virus in the past (manifest as abnormal pap smears or genital warts) sometimes have a resurgence of these warts during the pregnancy but then once they are not pregnant, they immediately go away.

​What these look like are something call vulvar papillomatosis papules. They often occur at the outside of the labia or along the edge of the hymenal ring. They are almost certainly more pronounced because you are pregnant and they will likely diminish after you have delivered.

The other thing that I notice is that the opening of the vagina and that skin appears swollen and inflamed. This would be associated with a yeast infection but are you saying that the medication that they have prescribed is not working?

What are they treating the yeast infection with?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank You very much! I was panicking!!! My OB is terrible and I am trying to get switched to a new one. Is there anything special I should do in regards ***** ***** Vulvar papillomatosis? They gave me terconazole suppositorys, it didn't help, diflucan normally helps me, I took it, had relief then infection came back.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's still swollen and irritated...

In terms of treating a vaginal yeast infection:
​1. Ask for a prescription for Terazol cream and use it nightly for at least 7 days (I think it is 0.4%)
​2. Do NOT do any douching or vaginal cleansing and avoid anti-bacterial soaps
3. Consider starting a probiotic such as acidophilus capsules that you buy at any drug store in the herbal section
​4. Ask the pharmacist if they have any Florajen capsules (usually kept in the fridge) as these are better than #3
5. Yes, get a new doctor if you do not have a good one!!!!

Does this help?
Dr. Tim

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1. Is terazol the same terconazole?
2. I douche all the time and that might be what the problem is.
3. Can I take the probiotic, prenatal vitamins same time or different times? Also if the pharmacists has Florajen then I won't need probiotic correct?

Yes it is the same as terconazole. Yes, whenever you douche you are just washing away the normal bacteria. This is a major cause of recurrent yeast infections and BV. This is probably the thing that is making it hard to clear the problem. The main goal is to fight back the yeast at the same time that you restore the normal bacteria (with the oral florajen capsules). Yes, you can take all of these at the same time. Florajen is all that you will need!

​If this helps, please remember to provide a positive rating!
Dr. Tim

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question!!! You are the best!!! I will rate you now. Have a wonderful evening or day! Be blessed and Thank you for all that you do Doctor.

You are very welcome!