OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am a 52 year old female happily married for 6 years now. I…

Customer Question
Hi I am a...

Hi I am a 52 year old female happily married for 6 years now . I was in a long term relationship with a man from 1991 to 2007 . He had a massive stroke and passed away . He also unfortunately was a drug user .. his drug of choice was crack cocaine . I'm pretty sure he made have shared needles a few times .. I am relatively healthy but have had chronic vulva itchiness ever since I started menooause 2 years ago . This itchiness comes and goes . Whenever I go to my gynecologist . They sometimes say I have some yeast and other times not . I went today as I'm tired of being uncomfortable !! They gave be two rounds of diflucan and steroid cream .. Now as I did some googling . I am so nervous this could be a sign of hiv .. my brother just passed away in March from cancer at home on hospice and I helped take care of him till the end . I am also caring for my 85 year old moment helping her .. I'm not sure if this is more menopausal related or a symptom of hiv . Your thoughts ? Thank you so much .. Dawna . I never used drugs myself ..

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes .. off and on and like I stated sometimes there's yeast and sometimes not . They gave me today a steroid cream and two weeks worth of diflucan

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that I can think of . Just since menopause my bowels and digestive system not as great .. a little different vowel patterns but nothing too alarming . I am taking Vsl probiotics and fiber

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
7/4/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr Anil Kumar

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.

I understand your concern.

Well as you describe,vaginal itching after menopause can be associated with vaginal wall thinning( vaginal atrophy, caused by the reduced estrogen levels normally experienced prior to or after menopause).

You should try the following A Vaginal Moisturiser (Replens, Vagisil Feminine Moisturizer) to restore some moisture to your vaginal area.

You may have to apply the moisturizer every two to three days. The effects of a moisturizer generally last a little longer than those of a lubricant.

Next option is Topical estrogen if your symptoms'll persist.

Keep your genital area clean and dry. Use plain, unscented soap.
Avoid colored or perfumed toilet tissue and bubble bath.
Wear cotton panties or pantyhose with a cotton crotch.
Change out of wet clothing, especially wet bathing suits or exercise clothing, as soon as possible.
Avoid feminine hygiene sprays and douches.

Now,I would recommend to undergo HIV,Hepatitis profile for a precautionary measure.

Still chances of HIV are less likely.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s request to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you . The obgyn I saw today prescribed me 2 weeks worth of diflucan and a steroid cream .. but she said I did have some yeast .. so where I have had this itching on and off for quite a while and sometimes they say they see yeast and sometimes not . I guess my question is why would the yeast be present ? I have no discharge . When I was younger and got a yeast infection I would have discharge present .. I assume it's not normal to have any yeast . Bot***** *****ne is I understand the dryness and vaginal thinning from menooause . But can yeast be associated with any of that ? And would I perhaps have any other symptoms besides this if I was hiv positive ? After so many years .. thank you so much . Dawna
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I really cannot afford a phone call .. thank you though

We continue our conversation in chat mode.

Thanks for the follow-up.

I understand your concern.

I would recommend to discuss with your doctor to go for pelvic examination.

Absence of discharge also gives a suspicion that it may not be yeast infection.

It can be associated with vaginal atrophy or vaginal pH imbalance most likely.

Vaginal swab should be done to confirmed underlying causative agent.

You would have other symptoms like persistent fever,weight loss,fatigue,swollen lymph nodes in case of HIV infection.

Chances of HIV are less likely.

Still recommend testing for a precautionary measure.

Hope this helps.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars and avoid poor/bad rating.

Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you very much .. She did do a quick swab today and said some yeast ..I did recently have a pap/ pelvic exam and it canne back normal .. In your experience is it abnormal for menopausal women to have some yeast ? She said if it does not go away she will do a biopsy for lichen sclerosis but that I do not have the typical look of it .. she also I asked if I was tested for diabetes and I have been . I'm 118 pounds and may have lost three or 4 pounds since my brothers death in March from stress

Thanks for the follow-up.

I agree with your doctor and such investigations should be done if your symptoms'll persist.

Yeast infection occurs when vaginal flora gets disturbed.

And it can occur at any age.

I would recommend to continue prescribed treatment as per directed along with such self care measures as we have discussed earlier.

Try RepHresh Pro-B probiotic supplement that balances yeast and bacteria to maintain feminine health with just one capsule per day.

I wish for your good health.
Please do not forget to leave positive rating by clicking 5 stars if you are satisfied with our conversation. Bonus is highly appreciated.
We can continue our conversation even after you provide rating.

Kind Regards
Dr.Anil

It’s my privilege to help you if you have any further query regarding your this health issue.
May I help you further?
Waiting for your response.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
in your professional opinion I would most likely have other symptoms then just chronic yeast infections / vulva itching if this was hiv ?

Thanks for the follow-up.

Yes,you would have other symptoms also.

Chances of HIV are very less likely in your case.

Hope this helps.

I wish for your good health.

Kind Regards
Dr.Anil

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you and Have a Happy 4th !!

I wish for your good health.
Welcome.
Kind Regards
Dr.Anil