Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General practice
Experience:  I have had years of experience with Outpatient Medicine and have treated many routine GYN disorders.
18722459

I am 45 years old and all of a sudden my periods have

Customer Question

Hi I am 45 years old and all of a sudden my periods have started changing. Firstly, they arrive a week or two late. Also, for this period and for one about 3 months ago, I got a little bit of spotting....so, had my period for 5 days, then I was period free for 4 days, then I had a day of light blood/spotting. It typically goes away after a day. I don't have any other worrying symptoms such as back pain, urinary problems, exhaustion etc....but it is odd and I am a little worried. I am due for my Pap smear next week.
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: no, not about injuries
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have epilepsy
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 months ago.

Hello I'm Dr Chip

When was your last pelvic exam and PAP smear?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Three years ago....but I am due for one now.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
As in, I have them regularly when I am meant to (I get notified by the doctor when I am due)I am due for one next week
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also just FYI I did contract herpes in my early 20s!!!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 months ago.

OK

I don't think there's a problem with cervical or uterine cancer here if you were concerned with that

Considering your age, you're likely to be in the perimenopausal situation right now

So when you see your doctor he needs to check your estrogen, progesterone, FSH and LH levels to see where that stands

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks very much. Yes occasionally it happens and occasionally it doesn't. It's usually light pink on toilet paper, then can be regular period pink, or it can be a bit brown. I usually don't really need a tampon, or if I do I only need it for a few hours only. It usually comes about 3-5 days after the end of my period, and only lasts for about day. I don't feel ill, have backaches etc...nothing. but I guess because I have HPV I worry! I am very healthy apart from that, have two kids, do regular exercise, eat very well and rarely drink.Interesting you mention peri menopause - I have also have had an increase in severe anxiety , some depression, and my seizure medication needs to be reviewed because I had a seizure a few weeks back unexpectedly - my neurologist also said this may be peri menopause and even just age - my body needs to readjust. Also the last two periods have come after longer cycles - like, 7 days longer than usual.Thanks anyway, that's reassuring as everything on google tells me it is definitely cancer!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 months ago.

This part may take another 6 months before you go into full menopause