Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MS. Deal with women related all surgical problems including genito-urinary and breast surgery.
5625079

I am 48 years old. My periods became more heavy last 2

Customer Question

Hi, I am 48 years old. My periods became more heavy last 2 years. I had IUD for 5 years. Came to the doctor ( gynecologist) with complains: pain with sex within last year, pelvic pain, mostly left side. He took IUD out, my period started on time even more heavy, less became less, but pain on left side very localized was bad. I did tests: submucosal fibroid 47x49x55mm and left ovary cyst 20x13x17. My question is spotting contunues since my period( today 16 days including period), no much pain, but still discomfort on left side is it eventually going to stop?
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: My periods been regular so far, I would call it more discomfort now not pain
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: He did blood test my TSH 4.1 he said to check in 3 months, but it seems doesn't concern him
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

I am writing you the answer. It may take 4-5 minutes.

If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

This is likely to stop. But any continued spotting and prolonged bleeding causes anemia due to blood loss. Secondly the same prolonged bleeding may happen next period. So you may need to address it. The best treatment may be total hysterectomy (removal of uterus and ovaries due to the cyst). You may discuss this with your gynecologist.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.