OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I recently had 2 ultra sounds of my uterus/ovaries/etc -

Customer Question
exterior and interior. There is...
I recently had 2 ultra sounds of my uterus/ovaries/etc - exterior and interior. There is a blood filled cyst on my right ovary, one of my fallopian tubes is dialated, a lot of scar tisdue that we aren't sure where it came from, and the doctor said things look very abnormal. Blood work indicates that nothing is cancerous, but due to a family history of cancer (my grandmother was diagnosed at 42, had a double mastectomy, and had recurrences at 45 and 75) he is recommending complete removal of both ovaries, tubes, and uterus.I am 32, in otherwise good health, and my fiance and I are not planning to have children. The thought of surgery scares me. Is this a good preventative treatment plan?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
5/16/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 1 year ago
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Hi, thank you for choosing Justanswer about your concern. The surgery might be warranted if the ultrasound findings are due to endometriosis. If you have a benign ovarian hemorrhagic cyst and a dilated tube, surgery may not be indicated. There are some genes more prone to breast cancer and ovaries. They are BRAC genes that would be picked up on your blood test.
Actually a gene mutation of the BRAC gene. Otherwise family history of breast cancer without BRCA is not as likely but those gene mutations may not have been tested before.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Unfortunately my insurance won't cover the BRAC test and it costs several thousand dollars. Is there any other way to know?
OB GYN Doctor: Dr David, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor

This is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor

http://ww5.komen.org/BreastCancer/GeneMutationsampGeneticTesting.html

there are organizations which can help you with payment for testing for BRCA testing if you have a family history of early breast cancer

https://myriad.com/myriad-cares-2/financial-assistance-program/

http://www.cancer1source.org/genetic-testing-programs

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am getting married in October and my fiance's insurance will cover the test. It is definitely something I plan to have done in the future, but for now my primary concern is whether having my ovaries, uterus, and tubes removed is extreme or not. The physician I originally saw said that based on the ultrasounds the BRAC test would really only affect his recommendation in terms of whether he would remove only the ovary with the cyst (along with everything else) or remove both ovaries.

is the right ovary causing you symptoms? pain?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have intermittent pain - similar to cramps. Sometimes they are more severe than others.

I would have that right side ovarian cyst abnormality removed.

you will continue to worry about the area

there is a lot of scar tissue there

clearly there is inflammation there which should not be there.

Dr David
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor