Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn
88055251

I'm currently on my 35th week and need to get some general

Customer Question

I'm currently on my 35th week and need to get some general feedback. Here is the history;
Age: 35, 1st baby
20 week Level 2 Ultrasound = normal
32w0d week level 1 ultrasound = head 95% percentile, abdomen 2.7% percentile, fimur 9% percentile. Weight 3lb 6 ounces
35w2d level 1 ultrasound = head 95% percentile, abdomen 2.9% percentile, fimur 9% percentile. Weight 4lb 12 ouncesAll else in the ultrasound is normal. We did a MaterniT21 test which was negative as well.With these results what are your thoughts on inducing early?
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Forgot to add that I'm getting biweekly NST and weekly Doppler to check the cord. So far so good...
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 3 months ago.
Hi, thank you for choosing Justanswer about your concern. I'm Dr Ted Manos M.D., board Certified on gyn. I've managed prenatal care and delivery for over forty years. I will respond shortly.
The measurements suggest IUGR which can increase chances of poor fetal outcome. In my experience, many cases with your measurements turn out fine. NST's and Doppler cord flow are standard. The thing I looked at was the appearance of the placenta and the amniotic fluid volume. If the placenta appeared calcified or fluid volume looked low it was time to have the fetus delivered. The addition of maternal diabetes or hypertension raises the likelihood of fetal growth issues. I would induce early if the fluid was low, diminished fetal breathing and flattened NST. I hope my information helps reduce your anxiety.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks! Does the NST and Doppler cover fetal breathing measurement? Based on our appointment our doctor suggested to keep the NST and Doppler weekly and as long as has good results we would induce at 39weeks. Any thoughts? I also hear a lot of people with IUGR deliver at 37weeks?
I found actually doing the ultrasounds in my office assured me when I saw the movement, the fluid volume and the actual chest movent of breathing. I managed thousands of patients this way and learned how to reassure my findings by experience. I had NST's done but they looked good if my ultrasounds were assuring. I never published any of my cases so my use of ultrasounds was my own evidence. NST is sensitive as is the ultrasound biophysical metrics. The decision for induction depends on the biophysical metrics and the ripeness of the cervix.