OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

Can chlaymidia come back after treated even if u haven't had

Customer Question
sex JA: Is this your first...
Can chlaymidia come back after treated even if u haven't had sex
JA: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?
Customer: Normal it's been 1yr since I had sex and my girl said it came back but we didn't have sex is it possible to come back on its own
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: OB GYN
5/12/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

Chlamydia will not "come back" if it was eradicated and the individual has not had sex again. However, it is possible that the antibiotics were not effective at completely eradicating the chlamydia. If the chlamydia is mostly killed, but not completely killed, then the residual chlamydia may remain dormant for quite some time before it may start causing symptoms again. Our current antibiotic treatment for chlamydia is quite effective, but it does not work 100% of the time. From the perspective of the individual, it may seem like it is gone and "comes back", but the reality is that some of the germ never left.

When someone gets recurrent symptoms a year later, it is more often that we see someone get infected again, but that would require that the individual be sexually active to acquire the germ again.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor