Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

Let me start by stating that I'm in my mid 40's and have

Customer Question

Let me start by stating that I'm in my mid 40's and have never given birth or even been pregnant and am still menstruating. About 2 months ago I discovered a small, hard cyst in the top wall of the opening of my vagina. I rushed to see an OBGYN but she said she couldn't locate the cyst yet offered possibilities as to what it may be and then referred me to a specialist. I've tested negative for every possible STD (have only had 2 partners in the past 5 years) and no urinary infection. The urogynecologist suggested that it could be a skene's cyst or a urinary diverticulum. Over the past 2 months I've had pelvic & vaginal ultrasounds, a pelvic MRI, and a procedure where a scope was inserted into my urethra. Tests were inconclusive and surgery has been recommended to remove the cyst. I do plan to undergo the surgery, but my concern is something that has been overlooked even though I've repeatedly mentioned it to my doctor; In the past 2 months since I discovered the cyst, the tissue around it seems to have grown to the point where it is now protruding from my vagina and the cyst can longer be located because it seems to be buried in this mass of tissue. The doctor said that she couldn't see what I was talking about, but I suppose since she doesn't know what the "normal" state or appearance of my vagina is she would have no way of knowing that this additional bulge is not normal and has manifested quite rapidly over the past 2 months. I tried to explain this to her but she dismissed it and said that the skin may just be inflamed. I've been told that it is not prolapse which is what I initially inquired about. I am very worried because I feel like I'm being ignored. I know my body and what is and is not normal - this is not normal and I don't know what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr David replied 4 months ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr David replied 4 months ago.

with foreign bodies (like splinters), viral infections, cysts, sometimes the body makes scar tissue or granulation tissue around something to get it out of the body.

that is probably what is going on with your body.

this is your body's normal reaction to try to get rid of something.

when you have surgery to remove the cyst, they will cut out the scar tissue as well

let me know if you have questions.