Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I took a clear blue pregnancy test this morning at 11:30 and

Customer Question

Hi I took a clear blue pregnancy test this morning at 11:30 and it came back positive. I took 2 more between the hours of 5 and 7 but they were negative..I need help is it possible I'm pregnant
JA: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No that's all
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

Yes, it is possible that you could be pregnant. All urine pregnancy tests are designed to detect the pregnancy hormone, beta-HCG, when it is above a certain threshold. These tests are most sensitive on a morning urine specimen, because that is when the urine is most concentrated and when the beta-HCG levels are most likely to be above the threshold.

It is also true that early in pregnancy, when the beta-HCG levels are just starting to rise, the level could be just above the threshold in the morning, and below the threshold later in the day. As the pregnancy progresses, the beta-HCG levels will rise so that the pregnancy test will be positive throughout the day.

So, if a morning specimen is positive but a test later in the day is negative, it is still very likely that you are pregnant, but early in the pregnancy. If you were to perform the test again tomorrow morning with an early morning urine specimen, then the test will likely be positive again.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How likely is a positive test ever wrong
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What if I take another test in the morning and its negative..should I try another brand

The Clear Blue pregnancy test can have false positives, but it is very low - <1%. However, it is very common for a pregnancy test to be negative later in the day. So, yes, it is possible that the single positive test is in error, but it is more likely that a test in the morning will be positive.

If the urine pregnancy test in the morning is negative, then the usual recommendation is to repeat the test in a few days if you still have not started your period. There is no need to try another brand because the Clear Blue test is a very good test.