Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MS. Deal with women related all surgical problems including genito-urinary and breast surgery.
5625079

If you have congestive heart failure w/left ventricular

Customer Question

If you have congestive heart failure w/left ventricular dysfunction and you get pregnant at my age (43) due to not being able to use hormone birth control would most doctors recommend terminating the pregnancy or just closely monitoring it with a cardiologist as well, classifying it as high risk? I assume the heart medications are not safe during pregnancy either (Coreg, Digoxin, Entresto, Lasix, Aldactone)
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

The decision for any doctor / gynecologist is not plain simple yes and no. You would be making the decision with the doctor. The foremost decision is threatening of your own life. If that is even mild, termination should be done. The second decision is taking the heart failure medicines and continuing the pregnancy. This will decrease your chance of complications but baby may suffer with effects. Would you like to take that risk and if baby is delivered with congenital defects, will you be able to take care of baby with the disabilities. So that also would be determine the decision of continuing the pregnancy.

Usually a high risk pregnancy; either for mother or child should be terminated.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.