Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I have been having rectal bleeding for the past few months.

Customer Question

Hello- I have been having rectal bleeding for the past few months. I have internal hemorrhoids and ONLY know this because on my colonoscopy from 2009 it states that I do. I have NEVER had bleeding nor do I strain or am I ever constipated. I am 61 years old. I am now concerned about anal cancer. from What I have read about anal cancer is that there is a strong correlation between HPV infection (especially strains 16,18) and anal cancer- What I could say is that I have been tested for HPV ALL STRAINS over the past decade or more and have always been negative- But these tests were performed via pap smears. My question is does this have any bearing on whether a person (like myself) would also not have HPV in other areas of the body- AKA as in the anal area?-
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 5 months ago.
It is unlikely that you would have hpv in the anal area and test negative. The most common cause of rectal bleeding is hemorrhoid. Not cancer. You should see a Dr for an exam.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi I have never been tested for HPV in the anal area though- only through pap smears
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
cervical pap smears
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 5 months ago.
Hpv is never tested for in the anal area. If it is negative on the pap, you do not have it
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Oh....I see- thanks
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 5 months ago.
Please consider a positive rating and thank you