OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

My husband and I have been together for 6 years. I never

Customer Question
used to have painful intercourse...
My husband and I have been together for 6 years. I never used to have painful intercourse with him. I lost a lot of weight. My period started becoming irregular and more frequent. I have seen my gynecologist and he just said the weight loss made it easier to get me deeper. Well, there are times that certain positions don't hurt and other times that it does, like my cervix is hit multiple times. The disparities is concerning. I have been evaluated, but he and I not wonder if I am getting shallower or something is falling. I have been changed birth controls quite a few times with no change. My libido has dropped significantly. I am worried that my cervix gets swollen without any cause. I have had two occassions to where I felt like muscles got pulled or sprained internally and it is horribly painful. I don't know what to do.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: OB GYN
5/6/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Basu, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Doctor

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

If the weight loss is involuntary, then other causes need to be explored. Thyroid gland disorder, diabetes are most common causes of unexplained weight loss. Liver and kidney disease also should be checked. Uterus fibroid tumor, a benign condition can cause painful intercourse sometimes. Pelvic ultrasound is also needed. Blood tests should include complete blood count with differential, metabolic panel, liver function test, fasting blood sugar, TSH levels to start with.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

I had bariatric surgery. I'm not worried about the weight loss. I am worried about why my female parts are having problems.

In that case, it is likely that you are experiencing vaginal atrophy -- can occur due to the estrogen deficiency. You should also get a pelvic ultrasound to look for any internal tumors in the uterus which can cause problems.
Best wishes

OB GYN Doctor: Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 6 months ago
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Hi, thank you for choosing Justanswer for your concern. I'm Dr Ted Manos M.D., board Certified ObGyn. I can respond shortly.
You are too young to have vaginal atrophy or other factors seen as you age. You said certain positions hurt and at other times it doesn't. Your cervix won't swell as a rule and wouldn't hurt being bumped. I believe the intermittent discomfort and the lack of any helpful answers is puting a damper on sex. You may not be lubricating naturally which is the female arousal factor. Intercourse can be unsatisfactory which might cause you to fear discomfort. Try to get over that something is wrong and allow your husband to arouse you. This situation has not been good for him as he thinks he hurts you. You know a woman's sexuality is in the brain and peace of mind makes things work. Of course, the man's sexuality is controlled by you know what. Getting through this can be challenging but will succeed if nothing appears to be going on in your reproductive tract. Do you have any children?
I have never had kids or been pregnant. Though we do plan to eventually. I am having problems with lubrication and arousal. There are times I bleed after and the infrequent and irregular periods are still ongoing with the changes in birth control medication. I do thank you sir. Hearing atrophy without any explanation scared me.
Your gynecologist needs to get a complete history of the arousal issue. It's very important to work at the source of your difficulties but not all doctors know how to handle it.
I have sadly had the painful intercourse discussion with my doctor. That is when he had told me that it was due to the weight loss and try different positions. I just don't know how the same position would not hurt at times and hurt others. He has been trying to address the irregular periods with different birth control, but it hasn't helped. I have had mri's and nothing has been revealed
I know my stress levels don't help my periods or arousal. I planned my wedding last year, finances, and my dad has to have a liver transplant.i have me of the stressful jobs on in the planet, foster care worker. I have been on Zoloft since October and my pcp is changing that now as the dryness is new. I was prescirbed the zoloft due to IBS that i have been combatting with since nov 2015 The periods have been ongoing problem since October 2013. I had my bariatric surgery 2012. The painful intercourse has been off and on for a couple of years now more. I have been in pain today prompting this discussion.
I'm sorry I just got around to reply to your information. You've undergone great changes that challenge your metabolism from many aspects particularly hormone balance. In addition, you are taking medications that can have impacts on all your issues. I don't know where you can start to get some improvements on the sexual functioning. I think if you stop banging your head with all the stress just let it go. Maybe a touch of xanax each day can help. Only a thought.
my pcp just prescribed clonidine and wellbutrine for anxiety and stress. It's a bit sad as I have been a worker since 2010. I havent has to take any medicine for it until last year. I know medicine will help take the edge off, but I don't won't to become dependent on them. My biggest concern at this time is where discomfort goes too far. I have been checked out head to toe, and nothing has been found that can explain it. I hate to get this graphic, but i want to enjoy being with my husband and I am very scared something is physically wrong that could cause long term problems. It felt like my uterus got pushed up farther into my body cavity. I felt this internal, sharp pain. It made me cry almost immediately. It felt like a pulled muscles, a sprain, or an injury of some kind occurred around the cervix. It took a couple of hours to subside enough to where I didn't consider the ER. I am very worried and it usually takes two months to see my gyno. His last recommendation was trying a different position and that was really it. He has waived me off or changed topics the last time I tried to ask.
I'm sorry I can't help as I'm sharing information without seeing or examining you. Like I said you need to let the fear go that's something seriously wrong.
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN