OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I am taking flagyl for bacterial vaginosis, I am taking 2…

Customer Question
I am taking flagyl for...
I am taking flagyl for bacterial vaginosis, I am taking 2 tabs, one in morning and one at night.I woke up this morning to go pee, when I looked my urine was reddish/brownish in color.This concerned me, is it due to the flagyl? Also... I am concerned because I just had a pap test done to look for cervical cancer and seeing this tinge of dark urine has scared the crap out of me, making me think I have cervical cancer.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: OB GYN
4/30/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 9 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now the presence of reddish or brown colored urine is less likely to be due to flagyl, because red or brown colored urine is mpore likely to be due to an infection of teh urinary tract or even due to the presence of blood in the tract. This can be due to renal stones or the infection itself. Now another cause of reddish or brown colored urine can be dehydration which is a common cause of this issue, if this is the case then simply using an increased amount of plain water would be useful. At the same time cutting back on caffeine or alcohol would be useful.

The presence of red colored urine is NOT an indication for cervical cancer by itself especially since you just had a pap test done.

Now i would recommend that you increase your intake of plain water and if that does not resolve the problem then simply get a urine analysis and culture done to start with and if necessary get an abdominal and pelvic ultrasound done as well.

But this is not anything serious which would make me worried.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor