Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I have always had regular periods- getting a normal 7 day

Customer Question

I have always had regular periods- getting a normal 7 day period exactly 28-30 days. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for about 8 months now and the last few months have been irregular periods. Last month I got my period after 38 days from the last one- it was very light and lasted only 4 days. It's now been 45 days since the first day of my last period. On Saturday night I started to bleed and I thought it was abnormal period but when I woke up on Sunday it completely stopped. I haven't bled since. I have taken 2 pregnancy tests one just on last Friday. They both were negative. I don't feel pregnant but I am starting to become concerned about my period. Last October when I was I did not get a period for 2 months I sought my doctor and she just gave me a pill to take for 10 days to kickstart my period. It worked on the 8th day but now it's happening again where I'm not having a normal period. I have never experienced irregular periods before. I have been checked and had abnormal Pap smear recently. I'm not sure what else could be causing this. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated as we are trying to conceive and this hasn't been helping our situation at all. Thanks!
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I am not allergic to any medications to my knowledge. I take a Prenatal vitamin and B12 vitamin daily but nothing else
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I took birth control from the ages of 18-24. I am now 29. I received the Guardasil (sp) vaccination when I was a teenager.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 6 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

any other medical issues?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No. this is the only one

what did your doctor say when you had your pap?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She said it was normal. Everything checked out normal that was less than a year ago. I wasn't having these issues then but it happened right after that. I had my appointment in June or July I believe and have been having issues with my periods since October. When I saw my doctor about it she gave me the pills to jumpstart my period- it looked like the pink pills to take when you're on birth control and it's your 4 pink pills before your period- and it worked and gave me a normal 7 day period but it only worked for that month. I don't want to take a pill every time I don't get my period because I'm worried that's going to affect my chances of getting pregnant even more

did you have thyroid and hormone blood tests and a pelvic ultrasound?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I had a thyroid test taken. Everything came back fine. I have not had a pelvic ultrasound though

That would be the next step to look for uterine issues and PCOS

is this helpful?