OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I am on the birth control Microgestin Fe. I am usually very

regular on my period. Last...
I am on the birth control Microgestin Fe. I am usually very regular on my period. Last month I got my period, but it was very light. This month, I haven't gotten my period at all. I have had sex in between, but we used a condom. I am worried because I have never skipped a period before. Is this normal?
3/21/2017
Dr Captain
Dr Captain, Doctor

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. So far, 99% of the justanswer community of patients has found my answers helpful, and I have the honor of being the highest rated clinician on the site! I will do my best to win over your approval as well.

— For your review, here is my direct link with my current ratings: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

I have read your post and observations. I will first provide a summary answer to your question, AND, if you would prefer some additional back-and-forth, with additional questions and more details clarified, I'm more than happy to stay around with you, free of any additional cost to you. You can continue to ask questions and receive answers without additional charges.

Our goal here is for your satisfaction, and I’ll do my best to take the appropriate time to help you.

Sounds good
Where is the explanation?

Ha, sorry for the delay - I'm a bit of a slow typer!

That is fine! I wasn't sure how this worked for sure!

no worries :)

Is there somewhere that I need to click for my answer or are you typing it?

The most important consideration here is whether you could be pregnant or not. That is the most impactful source of a loss of an expected period. If that is taken "off of the table" so to speak, then hormonal variability is the most likely cause of your lost period. When you're starting new contraception, there can be a bit of a "pattern shift" to the body's hormone balances, and the uterus can get mixed signals, which end up causing a missed period, primarily because the hormones create a biological clock, which gets shifted as the hormones change. There are certainly other causes for a shift in that clock, which include the hormones that change with changes in daily stressors or exertional activities like vigorous exercise

Can you think of anything besides the microgesin Fe that has changed recently? New stressors? New physical or emotional activities?

I did take a few pregnancy test last month and they were all negative. I haven't had any pregnancy symptoms other than frequent urination. I have been on this birth control for a few years.
I have probably been stressed because of college or work maybe. But I can't think of like an exact thing I would have been stressed about. I just moved into a new house. But that's about it.

Fantastic news about the pregnancy testing! Good for you. Well! a new house, college and work are all (each on their own) reasonable explanations. all together..... almost a certainty.

You may be a superwoman, but your body is still human, remember!

that is an impressive load of work and change!

Should I continue taking my birth control pills as normal and rule out pregnancy? Also when should I go to the doctor for this?

I would continue taking birth control pills, and yes, it's safe to rule out pregnancy with your negative tests. I would say if you don't have a period in the next 2 months' cycles, that would be time to see a doctor.

On the other hand, of course, if your body sends you signals that something is not right, you should always feel welcome in a doctor's office with questions or concerns.

Alright thank you! That makes me feel at ease!

Terrific!

Thank you for the opportunity to help you! My goal is to have only the best, ***** ***** patients, and believe it or not, we doctors don't get compensated at all if the responses are not rated with outstanding scores by our patients like you. Any rating other than 5 stars suggests that something was wrong or missing, and the doctor has not tried to offer you a chance for improvements, and from my observation, not many put the same time and personal focus that I do into answers.

If you have any follow-up questions, I hope you’ll please save my direct link: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

Dr Captain
Dr Captain, Doctor
Dr Captain
Dr Captain
Dr Captain, Doctor