OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I went to the gyno because of light spotting in between

Customer Question
Hi, I went to the gyno...
I went to the gyno because of light spotting in between periods last week. When the gyno did my annual, she said that my cervix bled and that she was going to send me for a pelvic ultrasound. I have had pelvic pain since the exam and some slight leg pain. The ultrasound was perfect except my Ob said endo was a bit thick. She said she will wait for the Pap smear to come back. Also, I am still pumping once a day. I don't get much but will continue until my 8 month old is a year. I am so afraid I have cervical cancer. Would they have found it during the ultrasound? I have never had an abnormal Pap smear before. Just waiting for this one. I am beyond nervous.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: OB GYN
3/18/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Gross cervical cancer and anything that is beyond in situ cancer can be found on a pelvic ultrasound. In situ cancer is detected on PAP smears. Insitu cancers do not cause bleeding and are discovered on routine screening PAPs. I do not think with a normal ultrasound, you would have cervical cancer with the only symptom being light spotting between periods. I think you are overthinking. The best thing to do at this point in time is to be positive specially with a baby around.

Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Regards.

I'm not really understanding all the abbreviations. Since the exam, I have had stabbing pelvic pain and pain in my thighs and shins. I am nervous, but do not reveal this to my children. I stay positive around them.
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 8 months ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
There are not any abbreviations in his answer. What can I help you with? You do not have cervical cancer. There are many other benign, harmless explanations for bleeding. and bleeding while taking the pap smear is normal and to be expected.
Dr. K.
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD