OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I took the drug Jardiance and terrible burning pain vagina,

HiI took the drug Jardiance...
HiI took the drug Jardiance and terrible burning pain vagina, vulva started on the tenth day. Tried yeast treatment three times and no help. Went to doc and she gave me a stronger oral med for yeast no help. Swabs were taken and said no yeast and not bacterial vaginois. The swab did say I have altered vaginal flora. Have tried polysporin with cortisone, and then premarin. Then flagyl,. Now I have less burning pain in the vagina , but still anal itching. Not really sure what to do next. Maybe it will just settle down btw it started Dec 24th burning vagina until about one week ago. I had one gyn suggest this is vaginal vaginosis but my doc says NO the swab said it isn't. Maybe the swab is inaccurate.
2/28/2017
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Thank you

I am sorry you are having such bad vaginal burning pain

at your age, you are most likely post menopausal

you may need to try vaginal estrogen cream for a longer period of time. how long did you use the premarin for?

oral anti-yeast medication sometimes doesn't work well for topical skin yeast infections. excessive moisture in the vulvar and anal area from sweating can lead to skin yeast infections and itchy skin and painful rash.

do you have excessive skin moisture down there.

you may need to use antifungal sprays and powders like Nystatin powder 3-4 times a day for 4-6 weeks to clear skin fungal infections.

I did the premarin for two weeks. Long enough to get very tender breasts . I am five years post menopause and took estrogel for a few years. The swab said no yeast as well. I did the cream also and suppositories for yeast
I wouldn't say I am excessive moist down there. Do you think this may just settle. Why would I have the anal itching off and on all day ? One doc here said this is bacterial vaginosis, even without a negative swab
the burning in the vagina stopped after the flagyl

you should use the antifungal powder for the anal area.

you may need to go kegel exercises to help strengthen your anal sphincter muscle to prevent leakage and moisture from your rectum coming out.

your vaginal burning pain is better now which is good. could have been from your premarin treatment.

it could continue to get better as it has gotten better already.

it doesn't sound like you have bacterial vaginosis.

I will try the antifungal powder for the anal area.
thank you. I have been told so many conflicting things about this

that is a good idea and try the kegel exercises to help strengthen your anal sphincter as well

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area.

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr David
Dr David, Doctor
Hello
My doctor told me to go back to the premarin vaginal cream. I am just wondering why she didn't order progesterone with it

progesterone is not always needed for vaginal estrogen.

it is really used to balance estrogen for your uterus if you are on oral hormone replacement therapy, not just estrogen vaginal cream.

Is it ok to have breast tenderness with using this premarin vag cream, or is that a sign I should not use it

it is ok to have some minor breast tenderness.

Dr David
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor