OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

Why do I have vaginal itching with slight burning sensation?

I took a diabetic drug...

I took a diabetic drug called Jardiance for ten days and ended up with severe burning vaginally, itching, and anal itching. stop the drug because Genital Mycotic infection is the most common side effect. I was treated many times for yeast , which I never thought I had, because no discharge and have never had one. after three weeks of OTC antifungal and then my doc giving me diflucan for three days no better. Then she did a swab and it said NO yeast, but altered vaginal Flora, but not bacterial vaginosis. Went to the Er and he gave me Flagyl for 7 days, and will take the last dose tomorrow. I have less burning, but still lots of rectal itching vaginally and rectally. I would appreciate your opinion.

2/13/2017
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General practice

OK--thanks

Despite the swab showing only altered vaginal flora, this is obviously a bacterial vaginosis

The flagyl is appropriate for now but if after you finish it you're still having symptoms, you need to see your doctor again for a course of clindamycin.

Is there any point in doing the flagyl longer like another 7 days or just tell her I need clindamycin?

No, if the first course of flagyl wasn't totally effective, there'd be no reason to have another--just ask for the clindamycin

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General practice
OK, thanks so much, at least I have some hope.

My pleasure and call on me anytime

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General practice