OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

You said that ovarian cysts are estrogen driven. Will Quai

Customer Question
You said that ovarian cysts...
You said that ovarian cysts are estrogen driven. Will Dong Quai help? I was told that it will help. This information is what i got from online Hormone-sensitive conditions such as breast cancer, uterine cancer, ovarian cancer, endometriosis, or uterine fibroids: Dong quai might act like estrogen. If you have any condition that might be made worse by exposure to estrogen, don’t use dong quai. If Dong Quai may act like estrogen and if cysts are estrogen driven this would not be good for me?!
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: OB GYN
1/23/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor) replied 11 months ago
Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)

Hi, I am privileged to help you get more understanding about your current concern. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or Skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

A few questions first to clarify your concern:

1. Are you still having periods every month? If not when did they stop?

2. Were you told you had cysts? If so how large?

I am still having periods I went to the er did ultrasound 1.7 cm is this small?
I went to the obgyn dr for routine screening. I was told by her that blood test for estrogen levels does not determine cysts. I have to go back to the drs to get a ultraslu d to see the size currently. The doctor told me that as women it is required that we all have cysts. Basically when we have a period the cysts go away however there are instances that they dont until the next period
She also told me that birth control only helps to stop future cysts not the one i currently have. Surgery is not an option. I just want this cyst to shrink and go away
I am premenapausal as well

Thank you for your response.

Since you are still having periods, small cysts in a menstruating woman are considered normal; 1.7 cm is small. When cysts grow to larger than 6 cm, then further investigation is needed. Cysts are physiologic, i.e. normal, in a menstruating woman, however most woman don't know they have a cyst because it resolves each month with causing any symptoms. Remember every time an egg is released from the ovary a cyst can form, this is the natural physiology of a woman's menstrual cycle. The first half of the menstrual cycle is estrogen driven as the body prepares for a possible pregnancy; i.e this is physiologic and natural.

In woman who are post-menopausal, small cysts of 3 cm are worrisome and need further investigation. So at this point try not to worry. You would need another ultrasound (US) if you started experiencing pain or discomfort on the side of the cyst.

I would not recommend taking Dong quai unless you start having menopausal symptoms like hot flashes. These symptoms indicate a deficiency in estrogen, which is expected & normal in menopausal & postmenopausal woman, so supplementation with herbs can help to relieve the symptoms.

I do recommend making sure you do all of the following:

1. adequate water intake, 6-8 cups/day, more if you drink any kind of caffeine (coffee tea, soda, energy drinks) as caffeine causes depletion of water from our bodies. For every cup of caffeine, drink 2 cups of water

2. Get plenty of exercise, 5x/week, for an hour each day (can be broken up into 1,2,3 or 4 session). Each day make sure 30 min of exercise is fast enough to raise your heart rate to ensure the heart muscle gets proper exercise (heart disease is the number one cause of death in women).

3. Good nutrition, eat 13 servings of vegetable & fruits/day, more vegetables (7-8/d) then fruits(1-2), then the rest in legumes/bean. Consider taking a good organic multivitamin if you do not grow your own food or get food directly from a food co-op, as our fresh food supply in the western world is often delayed when getting to our tables due to shipping.

Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this question as my goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied with your answer.

Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)