OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I was told that Quai may help with my ovarian cyst "shriken"

I was told that Dong...
I was told that Dong Quai may help with my ovarian cyst "shriken" process. I do have a concern this does not apply to me because I still get a period? Hormone-sensitive conditions such as breast cancer, uterine cancer, ovarian cancer, endometriosis, or uterine fibroids: Dong quai might act like estrogen. If you have any condition that might be made worse by exposure to estrogen, don’t use dong quai.
1/23/2017
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Dong quai is sometimes called the "female ginseng."

Although there are few scientific studies on dong quai, it is sometimes suggested to relieve cramps, irregular menstrual cycles, infrequent periods, premenstrual syndrome (PMS), and menopausal symptoms

it does not act like estrogen

and most likely it will not help with shrinkage of ovarian cysts

most ovarian cysts will shrink on their own over time.

you can read more here

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/dong-quai

http://www.drweil.com/vitamins-supplements-herbs/herbs/dong-quai/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will this help me? Will it hurt? It wont hurt?

most likely it won't hurt you, but these chinese herbals are not well studied

and so their benefits are not well know

and it may not shrink your ovarian cysts.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I understand completely. Thank you so much for your honest opinion.

you are welcome

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area.

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr David
Dr David, Doctor