How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.M.D.Mazumdar Your Own Question
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 9033
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a tear in my perineum at the base of the vaginal

Customer Question

Hi I have a tear in my perineum at the base of the vaginal opening but my OBGYN says he doesn't know what to call it ,but he's having me go to a specialist , this happened after a yeast infection with severe inflammation and swelling , is there a name for this ? because he said he's never seen this before
JA: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?
Customer: the swelling is gone now after yeast infection pill , I had rectal cancer 6 years ago so I had radiation , but I get the bioTE hormone replacement pellets which completely reconstructed my vagina inside and out so maybe the skin in that area is still kinda thin which caused a new tear. I don't know but I'm worried he said he didn't think it was anything to be scared about but of course I am
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no , I have been seeing him for 10 years but also he checked for herpes and it was positive also I am 50 years old
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 8 months ago.


A tear in the perineum is called a perineal tear - there is no other specific name for it.

A perineal tear can occur after childbirth, after rough intercourse, due to dryness of the vagina during intercourse and due to dryness and inflammation causes by yeast or bacterial infections . Radiation can also damage the skin leading to a spontaneous tear. In all cases, the cut is known as perineal tear.

In your case, the yeast infection probably caused the skin to break down.

Depending on how deep it is, the tear may heal spontaneously. Or, if it is very deep, it may need surgery for a repair.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you need more information. if not, please click on a positive rating to leave feedback.