Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

I have a question. I had sex 2 days after my period i

Customer Question

Hello i have a question. I had sex 2 days after my period i experienced pelvic pain 2 weeks later. I do have irregular periods and im overweight. I took a hpt 3 weeks after i had sex and it came out negative. The following week i started spotting brown to light red for 2 days and it stopped. The following week it seems i spotting again because im lightly bleeding off and on a week later and its going on 2 days
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: My peiods vary. Some 28-35 days and sometimes i wont get one for months.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No this has never happened to me before so im concerned if im pregnant
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 6 months ago.

The description of your symptoms suggest that you are suffering from a pelvic infection, possibly from the sexual intercourse. A pelvic infection will cause pain and heaviness in the abdomen. . It can also cause irregular periods and spotting on and off.

With a history of irregular periods, the chances of you spotting is higher.

I doubt that this is due to pregnancy. The time immediately after the periods is not a fertile period of the menstrual cycle and having sex 2 days after the periods is unlikely to cause a pregnancy.

A pregnancy test should be done at least 16 -20 days after a sexual intercourse for an accurate result. Done earlier, it can show a false positive or false negative report.

A negative HPT 3 weeks later almost rules out a pregnancy.

Please repeat the test after 1 week, that is 4 weeks after the sex . If that is negative, you are not pregnant and the spotting etc is due to an infection or a hormonal upset.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you need more information. if not, please click on a positive rating to leave feedback.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok so i meant to say i had sex 2 days after my period "stopped" or ended. So far i had cramped 1 time when i first spotted. And i took a hpt test 21 days after i had sex which came out negative. I began to spot exactly one month after i had sex but its off and on. So i should just trust the first test or take another one?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Oh and the pelvic pain came 2 weeks after i had sex but went away. Ive only hadlight cramping off and on since then

The first 7 days after a first day of a period is usually safe - that is, you will not get pregnant at this time.

A HPT 21 days after you had sex will be accurate - if it was negative, you are not pregnant.

Since you have a history of irregular periods, spotting one month after sex could be a sign of hormonal problem, rather than a pregnancy.

The pelvic pain is probably not related to the sex.

Going by your symptoms, i do not think you are pregnant.

I hope this helps.