Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
23101880

I had an abnormal pap. (Low grade) and positive for HPV. Was

Customer Question

I had an abnormal pap. (Low grade) and positive for HPV. Was sent to do a copolscopy. They also did another pap. The biopsy from the copolscopy came back normal but the pap was still abnormal. 6 months later and the same thing occured. More normal biopsies but still abnormal pap. My doctor wants me to go back again I'm 6 months.
My question is: is this common? Why are the paps abnormal but copolscopy biopsies are not. Could it be an error? Could something else be causing this? Could the abnormal cells be coming from deeper inside cervix? My doctor seems mystified which concerns me. I get paps and HPV testing every year so I know that the HPV infection and abnormal pap were newly acquired.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JA. I am reviewing your query and will be rihht back.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was charged by PayPal but received an email saying you can't process my request?

Well colposcopy is a camera guided method by which biopsy is taken from area found suspicion on pap smear. Its only done after pap is abnormal. You can say its more definitive then pap regarding detecting any precancerous or cancerous changes in the cells lining the cervix. Pap can be abnormal due to viral mainly HPV infections . Hence periodic monitoring plan is advised just to catch any precancerous changes well in time.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Although doc has done biopsies of different locations of the cervix, could she be missing an area that has 'cancerous' cells? Could these cells be coming from inner cervix therefore biopsies doesn't catch but pap does?

Well colposcopy is a camera guided biopsy, they look at the whole cervix with camera and take biopsies from the most abnormal or suspicious looking areas. Progression to cancer can take a while thats while monitoring is advised but you might not get a cancer at all too .

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
cells found higher inside cervical opening could not be causing this?

The biopsy is taken after having looked at the cervix in length through the camera so it covers fairly good area of the entire cervix. Any abnormality is easily picked on biopsy if there is any.

Happy to answer any more queries. Please dont forget to leave a positive rating .

Wishing you a healthy life.