OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

Let me start by saying I'm on Accutane (7 months now, ending

Customer Question
Hi. Let me start by...
Hi. Let me start by saying I'm on Accutane (7 months now, ending in 2 weeks) and I don't know if that could be the culprit behind all this, as I'm on my last month and I've noticed several side effects happen over my course on this medication. Love the results! But I won't miss the side effects and monthly blood tests.
About a month ago I developed a cold sore on my lip (HSV-1) I've had this as long as I can remember. As a kid they were painful and more frequent - now I get cold sores maybe once or twice a year and once I start the Valtrex it's a goner. This cod sore I developed this time around HURT...it was worse than the usual ones I get and I read Accutane messes with your hormones and that may be why this particular cold sore hurt worse than the others in my recent memory. It was like day 2 or 3 when I realized I wasn't being careful with washing my hands. I'd touch the sore and then touch my eyeball or go to the bathroom without washing my hands FIRST before wiping. Because of this realization, and knowing Accutane can weaken your immune system, I worried for the first time in my 24 years that I contacted Herpes HSV-1 down there and on my eyes. Since I was worried, I was checking down all around my lady part every time I went to the bathroom. A few days later I felt burning when I urinated, didn't last long, and I found a small bump that I'm not sure I would've noticed if I wasn't being so weirdly diligent down there. To the touch it itched, but unless i was touching it, it was as if the bump wasn't there. Still, I'm convince I gave myself herpes because my antibodies were weakened from the Accutane.
Fast forward, weeks later, it's still here with one other little bump - almost like a lump. They're either white or flesh colored. It didn't blister or burst, whatever you call. The bump just kind of hung out. I should make note that I saw a PA for my annual Pap and informed her on all of this last week. At the time, she didn't see anything and told me I needed to relax. I didn't see much either - but I've noticed my lady part tends to inflame and that's when the 2 bumps are more prominent* as they are now and weren't so much so last week..but they've never really disappeared completely.. So it's been about a month, and the bumps are just kind of hanging around down there. Now, they no longer hurt, itch, etc. They're just there. I have another appointment for next week as they didn't get a good enough swab for my pap so I will address this again with a different doctor this time. But until then, I wanted to get your opinion. IDK if it's worth stating that I had recently taken up jogging - about 4 times a week and I tend to lounge around in my tight, sweat-soaked jogging pants for a few hours after jogging.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
1/2/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello , Dr Saleem here . I went through your query and will be posting my response very shortly.

Well herpes though less likely but can be transmitted by hands to other body parts. Initial herpes infection can be quite asymptonatic and may just present like a bump with burning in passing urine. I would lije to know about your sexual history if its ok with you because its very pertinent asking about your sex life and husband / partners

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've had 4 sexual partners. One particular for four years, and he was the last and only one I have slept with for the past year and a half now. The last time we slept together was in July 2016.

Well genital warts can present like this and zHPV being the causative organism a smear would help with diagnosis. Of the other possibilities wearing tight pants only means dermatitis or rash that would usually burn or itch atleast. Sometimes sebaceous cysts can form because of hair removal and these are also painless.

I would advise you to avoid touching it often and gently dry with a towel , no vigorous washing and to avoid anything that you might be applying very often like perfumes, sprays, or soaps. Lubricate before you have intercourse and avoid wearing very tight fitting pants for a couple of weeks.

A picture or image would be more helpful in reaching a diagnosis. If not comfortable with it, i would advise you to get it examined when you feel these are prominent.

I hope it was helpful , happy to answer any more queries. Please dont forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars .

Another very common cause is molluscum contagiosum. Its a diagnosis of examining the affected part.

You may google these and see which one resembles your bumps closely , might give a fair idea.

Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor