Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.
20638885

I've been experiencing pain after/during sex in what feels

Customer Question

hi, so I've been experiencing pain after/during sex in what feels like my cervix. I had talked to my obgyn almost a year after I had my daughter and she said it was because I was breastfeeding, and that apparently causes it to be more sensitive, but its been almost a year now without breastfeeding anti still happens. Is there maybe another possibility as to why this is happening
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: it just goes away after a day and its been since i got pregnant
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no, i have congenital hypothyroidism but i don't see how that could be related
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for your question.

You are describing deep dyspareunia .

Most common cause is an infection in the cervix or surrounding area.

There are other possible causes.These include endometriosis, fibroids, at times polyp like fibroids can reach the mouth of cervix to cause pain during intercourse.Change in position of uterus is another possible reason.

You need to have a thorough checkup by your gynae so that the cause of your pain can be found out.Ultrasound of the pelvis may also be needed.