OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

Can Ureaplasma be caused by hot tub use? I have. I am taking

Customer Question
Can Ureaplasma be caused by...
Can Ureaplasma be caused by hot tub use?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I have. I am taking antibiotics now.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: History of bacterial vaginitis and yeast infections. Thus is the second corse of antibiotics
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: OB GYN
11/26/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr David, Doctor replied 12 months ago
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Ureaplasma and mycoplasma are bacteria that can be commonly found in the reproductive tract of both men and women.

It is somewhat more problematic to label these two bacteria as reproductive tract pathogens because they are often found in fertile, healthy couples in addition to those with infertility.

they may be there normally without causing symptoms or problems.

sometimes they can be spread through sexual contact.

did you have symptoms of a bacterial vaginitis and had a vaginal culture?

how old are you?

34, no BV or yeast currently just in past. Tested positive for Ureaplasma on antibiotics now and so is my monogamous partner. Own hot tub and wondered if it was re infecting me.

you should have the chemicals checked in the hot tub

it may not be spread by the hot tub

it could be a bacteria which is normally in your vaginal tract normally.

if you are not having symptoms, you may not have an infection.

it is normal to have some bacteria in your vaginal canal.

Symptoms are itching and burning
Is that all?

are the antibiotics helping your symptoms?

Dr. C.
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified