Dr. Vakul Aren
Dr. Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H(Univ.of Liverpool),34years of experience
15267045

Pap says Atypical Glandular Cells ultrasound shows small

Customer Question

Pap says Atypical Glandular Cells ultrasound shows small hypoechoic structure and a Septated ovarian cyst with enlarged ovary - follicals on the other ovary ECC came back benign but I have back pain,nausea ,weight gain ,bloated stomach ,pelvic pain and spotty brown mucas outside of my period - ( was 10 days late this time) and was 9 days bleeding period before. I am 49 and Hypothyroid (75 lexothyroxine at this time) should I insist they follow this closely or that they biopsy the uterine lesion itself ? pelvic pain is sharp and shooting at times and I have urgency to urinate and frequent several months
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: yes pelvic pain and lower back pain - last period was more then 10 days late ,period before bled for 9 1/2 days before that heavy bleeding and extreme bloating
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Mother died of stage 4 breast cancer , oh and I have this year been diagnosed IBS and had a ct come back showing colitis they did a colonoscopy and said no it was IBS
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Vakul Aren replied 7 months ago.

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.A septate ovarian cyst can cause a variety of symptoms.This can cause irregular and heavy periods,sharp pains,The cyst needs to be biopsied since it may turn malignant,also the danger of the cyst becoming twisted (this is a medical emergency)is also there. The cyst should be removed if it is causing pain and heavy periods,The urinary frequency may be due to bladder problems/urinary infections and needs to be checked by your doctor separately. The IBS can also cause pain abdomen.Atypical Glandular Cells(Not Other wise Specified) AGC(NOS) is found to be related with significant uterine lesions,more than 56% have been found to be related to malignancies.Getting further checkups and biopsies of the cervical area and ruling out cervical and uterine malignancies will be prudent.AGC(NOS) has been found to be associated with precancerous and cancerous tissues in the endocervical and endometrial tissues.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2001/0601/p2239.html is a site of interest.