Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Having dark vaginal discharge for almost a week. Discharge

Customer Question

Having dark brown vaginal discharge for almost a week. Discharge has no smell :/
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 9 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask do you have any abdominal pain or cramps? Any back pain or fever? When was your last period? Any unprotected sexual intercourse recently?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No pains or fever. Period should be due next week.
And yes I have with my partner
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have an IUD and don't fall pregnant easily before having that

Thank you for the additional information, let me just write down an answer for you and ill get back to you in a few mins. If you get a phone call request, please ignore that as that is an automated response by the site.

Well from what you are describing there can be a number of conditions which can cause this sort of brown vaginal discharge, the first one which comes to mind is that you could have a mild infection in the reporductive tract. This can be present even without the typical symptoms of fever, abdominal pain etc. Infact many low grade infections usually only present with an odorless discharge. It can however cause urinary symptoms which may be mild such as frequency or burning in some cases. The first thing to do here would be to get urine tests including a simple analysis as well as a culture done. A High vaginal swab should also be done to determine if the discharge is infected and a plevic examination. If needed an ultrasound can be done later on. This would be followed by a course of antibiotics to clear this up.

Now while you do have an IUD in place and it should prevent a pregnancy in most cases but it is not foolproof, there is a very miniscule chance that you could be pregnant. The chance is about 1% or even less than that however it is present, if an infection is ruled out then a pregnancy can be considered even though chances are that you are not pregnant. But a brown discharge just before your period can be associated with a pregnancy or even a miscarriage. This can be a cause of the brown discharge.

Another cause of this can be uterine or cervical polyps. Uterine polyps are also called endometrial polyps. The Polyps can cause a discharge as well as bleeding after intercourse, heavy menstrual bleeding, and abnormal vaginal bleeding. However if they are small in size that can lead to a small amount of brown vaginal discharge without any of the other commonly associated symptoms.

Now in your case since this has been going on for a week, it should be evaluated with a pelvic examination and other tests which i have mentioned above. If it had stopped after a couple of days i would have not advised a visit to the OB/GYN but since it has been 7 days and it is consistently occurring then a pelvic exam and a ultrasound is certainly indicated.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Want to add one more thing
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's been itching down there since discharge has been happening

Then ut is likely to be an infection. Itching is usually associated with bacterial or fungal infections, this may be followed by redness and abdominal pain in the coming days or even urinary symptoms. It can take upto 14 days for the symptoms to be fully apparent in most infections and given that you have itching, i think this is likely to be an infection more than anything else and that means that you need to be started on antibiotics soon.

Do you have any more questions?

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.