Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn
88055251

I've had 5 histeroscopys to clean my uterus of adhesions but

Customer Question

Good morning
I've had 5 histeroscopys to clean my uterus of adhesions but every time they clean very little and doesn't seem to be enough to get pregnant. What can I do? Is that the only procedure to clean the adhesions in the uterus? How do you determine the uterus is ready for an in vitro?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 9 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Manos, M.D., board certified ObGyn. I can respond to your question. It'll take a few minutes to complete my response.
It would be helpful to know your age and about any previous pregnancies. There is an entity called Asherman's Syndrome where the uterine space has scar tissue strands (adhesions) that distort the space where a pregnancy will develop. Are you being seen by a reproductive endocrinology and infertility gyn subspecialist? You should have plenty of information from your doctor about what's going on.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I went with an specialist she said little by little but after 5 histeriscopys she cleaned very little space. Yes I have a 5yr old. I have my period regularly that's why I don't loose hope.
This type if problem is very rare. It may develop after a d&c for a miscarriage or an abortion d&c, bad pelvic infection or a placenta that was attached too deep in the uterine cavity. Repeated hysterscopic procedures don't help. It would be interesting to find out how the adhesions were "cleaned". Adhesions are little bands of scarring and I preferred to snip them with small siszors developed for the hysterscopic procedure. I objected to using laser or cautery that might affect normal areas of the lining. It's not very encouraging. Years ago we had the IUD called the Dalkon Shield that was flat like a stingray and we'd leave in after getting at the adhesions that kept new ones forming but the Dalkon is only a memory these days. Keep the faith and avoid more procedures that are like spinning wheels in the mud.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I wish there is a liquid that cleans everything inside or an alternative other than hysteroscopi. They used scissors and after they left a ballon for a week to avoid new adhesions but nothing has worked.
Thank you for answering
You're welcome. The mystery is how this all started in the first place. It's usually never answered.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I had an abortion 2001 but then I had a baby 2011 with c section now asherman syndrome.
I've seen many patients with your history but none of thousands I've managed ended up with Asherman's. Recent procedures include trying the balloon post procedure. It's so rare that few have any significant numbers of patients to base what works. I think of the 20 or 30 patients with terrible fibroid tumors that I removed and the sutured areas of a rebuilt uterus healing without something like Asherman's. A real head scratcher.