How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Ted Manos Your Own Question
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 680
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr Ted Manos is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Every time I have sex with my partner I feel sick

Customer Question

Every time I have sex with my partner I feel sick immediately afterwards: I get numbness and joint pain all over my body and I get my partner sick too, with the same symptoms. Symptoms seem to be exactly the same as described in people who suffer from Candida Overgrowth. I have no discharges though. We feel sick for 2-3 days, have cravings for sweets and/or alchol and then we feel quite ok again after some days, but this prevents us from having regular intercourse. I did general blood test and Pap test but nothing came out. I know it has to be something stored in me because he gets sick only after sex with me. And we both feel really bad, with headache and brain confusion too.
Is there some more in depth vaginal exam I could do? To find out about viruses, bacteria or hormonal imbalances? This is driving us crazy. We tried everything so far but with no results. I am desperate, no one seems to know or even have any idea of what we have nor what we should do to find out and try to cure us.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Vakul Aren replied 8 months ago.

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I( will help with your query.Since when have you been having this problem?What are the exact symptoms and which joints are involved?are both of you psychologically stressed because of some other issues ?Any symptoms of depression or anxiety involved?please give me more information.Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No it has clearly nothing to do with psychological problems. We have been suffering bad for over a year now, probably more. It has become more intense now. And we can't therefore have an intercourse anymore, because every time we do, we are sick afterwards.
We feel numbness in arms and legs, also the neck gets stiff sometimes. We have headaches, we crave alcohol and sweets...
My partner sometimes gets little bumps, rashes on his arms... feet hurt, hands tingle... depression or mood swings come with the symptoms.
We had two children before that, the last one 2 1/2 years ago, so no anxiety problems.
It is as if there is some type of bacteria that gets triggered when we have sex and otherwise lays dormant. We really have no idea of what to do or what exams we could do.
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 8 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Manos, M.D., board certified ObGyn. I can help you. When I first read about your problem, I hadn't seen a patient with similar symptoms in over 35 years of practice. I thought you might be nuts but that was a ridiculous thought. I wondered what could be the possibilities for explaining this puzzle. What could have both of you with symptoms? I thought could it be some type of bacteria that gets stirred up each time you have sexual relations. Do you have sex in the same location each time. One entity that came to mind was the legionella bacteria that's responsible for Legionnaires disease. It can be a pneumonia problem or some can be more neurological with exacerbations chronically. I believe you need to be worked up for something like legionella or some other infections. It's the only thing that can fit the clues. I have nothing else to add but you need to get this situation cleared up. Think about my information and get back to me with your input.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi, I looked up the legionella bacteria and its symptoms are: cough, fever, shortness of breath.... we don't have any of these symptoms. I don't really think we have pneumonia....otherwise we would have some problems breathing.
It is strictly related to intercourse, which we basically have always in our bedroom, each time.Some other infections... yes it definitely is some type of infection it seems. But WHAT exams should we do?
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 8 months ago.
It could be a fungus that you both picked up some time in the past and sex affects the area it's located around. Numbness, neck stiffness, headaches and cravings suggest neurological source. I would look to have a complete blood count, sedimentation rate, blood culture and a possible spinal tap after an MRI of the brain done with you or your spouse or both if one shows something. Years ago I had a patient that was thought to have DT's from alcohol. He had a brain abcess from coccidiomycosis. That was before CT scans and MRI's. Spinal tap revealed the trouble. It's been going on too long for both of you and the stress of sex can stir something with generalized symptoms.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did a CBC a couple of months ago but it seemed fine (the file is attached, could you have a quick look please??). I don't have a doctor who is following me yet since I moved to the States from Europe.
I don't even have health insurance yet, so I should really look to do the specific tests.
I use online labs where I don't need a medical certificate... I found:
- sedimentation rate (which I will surely take!) on
- blood culture, I can't find it but found something similar "Fungus (Mycology) Blood Test" on
- spinal tap, most probably is not some type of test I can just walk in and do...
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 8 months ago.
I looked at your blood panel of values and nothing stands out. There is nothing on the CBC to suggest infection or allergy. Certainly, nothing to suggest Candida or fungi. I can only hope you get an answer to this unusual problem.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do you think the sedimentation rate would show something?
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 8 months ago.
It's not likely.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Would you suggest I try the Fungus (Mycology) Blood Test (which seems to be the blood culture you were talking about).... or what do you suggest I might do first to see if and what might be wrong?
I don't want to just waste money on random exams but possibly find a right one that could help understand what is going on.
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 8 months ago.
Blood culture for any type of bacteria or fungus would not be indicated. I have never had a patient with your problem, so there is no data I can refer to. I can't help.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your honesty! I appreciate that at least... Anyone else you could refer me to?
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 8 months ago.
You might ask for an endocrinologist to evaluate your situation