OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I have a problem with menstrual period this month. It

Customer Question
Hi. I have a problem...
Hi. I have a problem with menstrual period this month. It started two weeks ago, with not much bleeding. But today it is still going with and very heavy. Is there some medicine that will help me stop with that?
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: Pain was at the beginning. it was always regular, 5 to 7 days not more. But now is third week. And its bleeding so heavy
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Not really. Just allergy to penicillin. Did not visit doctor long time. Because
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/4/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

What is your age?

Are you taking any pills?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Thank you for coming back online.

If your periods/bleeding lasts longer than 7 days or the bleeding is very heavy, then it is of concern.Normally menstrual period generally lasts from 2-7 days and has a typical volume of blood and fluid loss of about 2 to 8 tablespoons. This is equivalent to approximately eight or less soaked pads per day with usually no more than 2 days of heavy bleeding.

As you are having bleeding since last 2-3 weeks,this is termed as prolonged bleeding.Its most common cause are: stress,being overweight or underweight,imbalance of hormones,polycystic ovarian syndrome/estrogen dominance,uterine abnormalities (fibroids/cysts/polyps/endometriosis).Another common cause is dysfunctional uterine bleeding (DUB). This refers to heavy bleeding with no apparent explanation.

You need clinical examination,testing for thyroid function and other hormone levels. A pelvic exam is required to rule out any uterine abnormality, a cervical polyp or fibroid, or a uterine infection.Also you need an ultrasound to evaluate the uterus, the ovaries and the fallopian tubes.

So my best advise for you is to please make an appointment with your doctor to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly to stop these prolonged & heavy menstrual periods.

Thank you.

Hope this helped.

Is there is anything else that you would like to know? I am happy to address your follow-up questions. And please do not forget to leave positive rating (3 or more star) so I can get credit for helping you today we only get after positive feedback.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor