Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Specialist advice in Gynecology,Menstrual problems,STDs, Pregnancy .
6740150

I have had bloody discharge for over a month, there was been

Hello I have had bloody discharge for over a month, there was been heavy bleeding in week 2 which I thought was a period,this lasted for about ten days, this was not like my normal period(5-6 days with flooding and cramps). There after I have had bloody discharge with intermittent pelvic pain, sometimes sharp and needing pain relief and other times dull.
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: My periods are usually like clockwork give or take a couple of days.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have four children, youngest is eight. I am 46 and suffered from poly cystic ovaries before my pregnancies.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

What is your age?

Are you taking any pills?

Do you have any previous history of irregularity in periods?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Josh,Thanks for your response.Answers:
46 years old
No taking any pills
Irregular periods when I first started having periods and before having children when I was about 20.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry that's I am not taking any pills

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply.

The symptoms you have described of having bloody discharge for over a month with heavy bleeding that lasted for about ten days & then having intermittent pelvic pain,which is dull or sharp.This can be due to following causes: cervical or endometrial polyps,pelvic inflammatory disease (PID),Endometrial hyperplasia,Abnormal thyroid or pituitary function,use of an intrauterine device (IUD) for birth control,Stress, change in diet or exercise routine.

Another common cause is dysfunctional uterine bleeding (DUB). This refers to heavy bleeding with no apparent explanation.

Also this can be due to peri menopause where at age of 45-50 years,menstrual cycles are disturbed because of hormonal changes.

You had irregularity in your periods when having periods started for the first time and before having children when you were about 20.This present bloody discharge is not related to your past history.

You need clinical examination,testing for thyroid function and other hormone levels. A pelvic exam is required to rule out any uterine abnormality, a cervical polyp or fibroid, or a uterine infection.Also you need an ultrasound to evaluate the uterus, the ovaries and the fallopian tubes.

Although there is nothing dangerous or serious but is of concern & needs to be evaluated & treated. Most likely & most probably this can be due to normal hormonal changes due to peri menopause.

So my best advise for you is to please make an appointment with your doctor to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.Hormonal medications may be prescribed accordingly.

Thank you.

Hope this helped.

Is there is anything else that you would like to know? I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh