OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I have just a couple of questions. How would I would I know

Customer Question
Hello, my name is***** and...
Hello, my name is***** and I have just a couple of questions. How would I would I know for sure if I'm pregnant? And if I am pregnant, what kind of doctor would I need to see?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: OB GYN
10/19/2016
OB GYN Doctor: Anthony Bray MD, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Anthony Bray MD

Hello!

You can check a first AM urine with an over the counter urine pregnancy test ...

When was your last menstrual cycle ?

You would want to see a gynecologist for evaluation and care

I hope that this is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My last cycle was about 5 weeks ago. And also, what symptoms would be I having?

Nausea, lack of menstrual cycle ongoing, breast tenderness

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Im nauseous throughout the day and I was supposed to start my menstrual last week. I apologize for not responding back earlier, Ididnt see your message until today.

Hello again,

Well a missed cycle can occur for different reasons but usually this does bring up the question of possible pregnancy ...

Nausea plus late for menstrual cycle would further imply possible pregnancy

So 1st AM urine pregnancy test would be next reasonable step to check..

You may consult your doctor or gynecologist for test repeat or perhaps the more sensitive blood test (= serum hcg)

I hope that this is helpful for you

Let me know if I may be of further help

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Alright, but I took a test about two days ago now and it said that I was negative. Is it possible that the test that I bought could be wrong?

Hello again,

If the urine test was negative then your test was probably correct but early on it is possible to get a false negative ..

You may wait one week and repeat the test if no delayed period is noted ...

A skipped period due to an anovulatory cycle ( no follicle may develop at times and that is common so you don't produce the usual estrogen or progesterone >> this skipped month period and usually resumes the next month in those cases )

At times a series of missed periods may occur for hormonal reasons ( low thyroid function or too high of prolactin levels may cause that )

At this point I would advise at least to wait one week and repeat a urine pregnancy test to confirm your negative result ...

I hope that this is helpful for you

Let me know if I have further questions

Best regards!

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Alright, thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

You're very welcome!

Take care !

Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD, Doctor