Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I'm going in for a laparoscopic hysterectomy tomorrow. I am

Customer Question

I'm going in for a laparoscopic hysterectomy tomorrow. I am in my late fifties and have not had a period for years. The surgery has gone from just taking my uterus and cervix to taking my fallopian tubes and now ovaries. I am not keen on losing my ovaries and as far as I can tell from the imaging report, one has a 8 mm cyst on it. Isn't a frozen biopsy during surgery low on the scale of predictability if something is wrong? I guess I'm trying to decide if I should risk another surgery if something is wrong with the ovaries...
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: No pain. No periods
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: The mass on my uterus is growing, thus the removal. I'm gaining weight right now and my breasts have grown (how if not really producing estrogen?). I believe I was told I was in 1% of anomalies and they really don't know what is going on. Cancer was taken off table, but has not been put back on due to increase in size.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr David replied 1 year ago.

most likely in your late 50s, your ovaries are not working for you at this point.

you can have blood test to check your estradiol and FSH levels, but I suspect they will show you are after your menopause.

if your blood test show low estrogen levels, then your ovaries are not producing estrogen for you.

and you would be better off just having them removed at the same time of your hysterectomy

you can always get estrogen hormone replacement therapy in the future if you wish.

doing a frozen biopsy to look at your ovaries for ovarian cancer is not the best idea. just best to have them removed.